List from Guidestar

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Hello All,

I can buy a list of not-for-profit organizations for any state for $500 from Guidestar. I was thinking of sending out a direct mail piece, maybe a postcard to organizations in my area. I was hoping to increase my 990 business this way.

Has anyone ever bought a list from Guidestar or anywhere else? I would be interested in your thoughts.

IRS gives you the information for free. They have a non profit search by city, state, etc.

Not sure if they provide as much info as Guidestar but you can get a list of 50 non profits in 2 minutes from the IRS website. I do not do 990's so I do not have a feel for how that would work out.

Curious, how many 501(c)s do you work with? Are you CERTAIN it is an area of practice you wish to expand?

I have served plenty of 501(c)s. I am now at a point where I will work with a handful of current clients, and otherwise intend to reject new ones.

Hello CornerstoneCPA,

Thanks for your feedback.

I have been auditing and preparing 990s for 501(c)3s off and on for about 15 years (big firm, small firm and on my own). I am trying to grow a small practice to supplement full time job income. I thought that I would specialize in 990s rather than trying to do individuals, corporations, partnerships, bookkeeping, payroll etc.

Return to Business Operations and Development