Phone Calls That Are Recordings

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Preppie  
I have started to receive 3-4 phone calls per day at my business number that are recordings.
Hey, just following up on that $250,000 line of credit...
We have great opportunity for health care plans...
Do you want to grow your business?

ETC.
Any way to block those, or is that just going to be another game of whack-a-mole?

CathysTaxes  
Preppie wrote:I have started to receive 3-4 phone calls per day at my business number that are recordings.
We have great opportunity for health care plans...
Do you want to grow your business?

ETC.
Any way to block those, or is that just going to be another game of whack-a-mole?

My phone service is Ooma and it offers extensive blocking features.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

ATSMAN  
The scammers have all the data they need from data brokers and IRS itself when it published all the public data for PTIN holders. They will target your business phone # with targeted pitch from office supplies to line of credit etc. The key is to train your people who answer your phone to be aware of this and simply hangup if it is a call you don't wish to take.

One time my assistant accepted a "free" offer for toner cartridges, and then two weeks later an invoice arrived for just the S&H??

I don't think there is a fool proof way to block these calls as they spoof the numbers all the time.

Frankly  
One reason government exists is to protect the citizenry from abuse by others. Congress could fix this in a heartbeat if they wanted to do so. Complacency begets abuse.

makbo  
I can't understand why anyone answers live phone calls from numbers they can't identify reliably. Potential clients who are only interested in a firm that answers cold calls with a live person are not clients I want, because it shows they are poorly organized and probably only want to ask about the fee for their "simple" return.

If the call is legitimate, they can leave a voice mail, which can be responded to within minutes.

Typically, if it looks like an odd number, I let it go to voicemail. My rule used to be that if it were an out-of-state number, it went to voicemail...that is now out the door with cell phones and portability of numbers. I still answer most calls. If they leave a voicemail, I figure it "might" be legitimate but most of the time they do not bother. I agree, prospective clients that are LEGITIMATELY interested in your services, and are not just fee shopping, will leave a voicemail and be accepting of having to wait a reasonable amount of time for a callback. Also, most of my new/prospective clients e-mail me.

I block numbers automatically since I answer most of my business calls via the RingCentral apps on my PC or cell phone, and it is a tap of a button to do so. I could also screen calls, but I feel like that would be offensive if they suddenly find they are going to voicemail instead of having their call answered and they're a prospective client.

Still, I do try to answer most calls even if a robocaller or advertising. CPA firms have too poor of a reputation for not answering or not being accessible, and I have always received high praise for my accessibility and responsiveness. Hence, immediately blocking undesired numbers. Also, in cases where my services involve working with clients of my clients (owners within an HOA/POA being prime example), I add them to my contacts so I can recognize their numbers/names.

HowardS  
nomorobo blocks a lot of the robo-calls. It's free. https://www.nomorobo.com/
Retired, no salvage value.

ATSMAN  
makbo wrote:I can't understand why anyone answers live phone calls from numbers they can't identify reliably. Potential clients who are only interested in a firm that answers cold calls with a live person are not clients I want, because it shows they are poorly organized and probably only want to ask about the fee for their "simple" return.

If the call is legitimate, they can leave a voice mail, which can be responded to within minutes.

With phone # spoofing, it is extremely difficult for your average receptionist to distinguish a client or a legit call from a scam call,just by looking at the caller id. It is further complicated by people who may have a legit business calling from a cell phone that is not readily identifiable. I know some of my good clients refuse to leave a voice mail for some reason. If they get a busy # they simply hangup and try later. Some clients complain that they got my voice mail one too many times therefore during tax season I have live phone coverage during business hours.

It is a big challenge but as I said before we have to make sure we don't let our guard down. Once we determine it is a scam call, we simply hangup.

novacpa  
Nomorerobo - cost $2 a month for cell phones.

I hate the calls and those I do answer - I say "you are committing a crime calling me - I'm on the Do Not Call List of the FTC" - they laugh and say "let them come and get me". Sadly, the FTC and FCC are useless in protecting us against these annoying and
interfering calls. I saw a C-Span presentation about their efforts - the people protecting us are pathetic.

In my view, if I were writing Legislation - I would make it a seriou crime to operate a phone room, a crime - to profit by these calls (someone is buying the leads) a crime - to serve/enable them (provide any lines for them to operate) service techs, electricians, office furniture, lend to them, lease them premise. And, big Penalties, and Jail time (mandatory minimums) for doing so.

The huge amount of time wasted - and call avoidance made is crippling. Yesterday, I had a "new client" call - we couldn't connect because of the fear of answering an unknown number - 5 calls back and forth. 2-hours of wasted time - just to make a place a simple call.

A great many of these "phone rooms" are in Florida and So Cal - and run by criminals - come down on them hard.

BTW, I had a call today saying, "Our records show you owe the Federal Govt back taxes call 510-897-6314 to pay your Tax Bill to the IRS." Unbelievable.

Taxaway  
Preppie wrote:I have started to receive 3-4 phone calls per day at my business number that are recordings.

I'm afraid "Rachael" and all the spammers will never be stopped completely....these lowlifes use numerous phone#s and then register new ones all the time. My blocked list must be up >200 over the years. My phone carrier and additional app block a lot of calls, but that doesn't lessen the annoyance of receiving them or discovering they reached voicemail. I don't answer unknown out-of-state calls, numbers that mimic my own; if legitimate those clients can leave voicemails, and fortunately the majority of my clients are comfortable with email as the initial mode of contact.

novacpa  
Taxaway - true, everyone phone behavior has changed because of these - damnable Robo Calls - we let them go to Voice Mail and leave a message - few pick up the calls. When I return a call, it goes to the client's Voice Mail - and round and round. It makes placing a simple call a major waste of time.
We need to pressure Congress for Legislation, to wit: If you get into the Robo Call business (or assist in anyway) you will be hunted down and put in Prison -stripped of all your Property - and if offshore - forever barred from entry into the United States.

CathysTaxes  
I have an appointment on my phone to block calls. The landlines use Ooma which has extensive blocking capabilities.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

ATSMAN  
The huge amount of time wasted - and call avoidance made is crippling. Yesterday, I had a "new client" call - we couldn't connect because of the fear of answering an unknown number - 5 calls back and forth. 2-hours of wasted time - just to make a place a simple call.

Guys, I still don't understand why you guys are afraid of picking up the phone. If it is a scammer simply hangup! There is no point in arguing with them because they don't care and it a total waste of your time. Just click. I have done that 2 or three times an hour and I usually don't miss a call that I want to take.

novacpa  
ATSMAN wrote:

Guys, I still don't understand why you guys are afraid of picking up the phone. If it is a scammer simply hangup! There is no point in arguing with them because they don't care and it a total waste of your time. Just click. I have done that 2 or three times an hour and I usually don't miss a call that I want to take.

Why do we "all self employed" have to answer 2/3 calls every hour?
This is a major annoyance to all of us - our leaders need to fix it, Pronto.

CathysTaxes  
ATSMAN wrote:

When I'm in the middle of a tax return, these calls are very disturbing. I'm by myself.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Frankly  
novacpa wrote:This is a major annoyance to all of us - our leaders need to fix it, Pronto.
The telemarketing lobby calls the shots here. Our "leaders" work for them.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... edirect=on

makbo  
What about the voice MENU systems that are easily available, I know I have some clients with them, I think they can run on your computer. You call, you get a simple menu, one of the choices being to be put through to a live person, otherwise you can leave a message (which some people probably want to do anyway, instead of waiting for a receptionist to try to write everything down -- I know more than once I've called a business, and asked the receptionist if I can call back and let it roll to voice mail instead).

Can the robo-calls successfully navigate these voice menus?

ATSMAN  
Why do we "all self employed" have to answer 2/3 calls every hour?
This is a major annoyance to all of us - our leaders need to fix it, Pronto.

Yes it is a major annoyance BUT I would not expect the Govt. to fix it so that scammers NEVER call you. By definition a criminal has NO respect for the law so that is not going to stop them from calling especially if they can spoof the phone number and caller ID. As long as I have been in business I have got junk calls but with internet spoofing it has become worse.

The way I look at it. If you feel it is too much that you can't work, don't pick up the phone. Some of your clients may not like to get a VM every time they call. That was a problem I was facing particularly with older clients. If your client's don't mind playing phone tag, more power to you.

OR

During tax season you can hire a receptionist to screen the calls and with a trained person it is manageable in my opinion.

The choice is yours!

novacpa  
The research I have done - is the telecoms get paid from these - Robocall Phone rooms - so they don't care
about our Right to Privacy - that's the issue. I don't want these calls, I don't want to be "Marketed to" -
I think that's the general intent of the people - and it past due - that our Gov't makes a far greater
effort in responding to the will of the People.

Frankly  
ATSMAN wrote:Yes it is a major annoyance BUT I would not expect the Govt. to fix it so that scammers NEVER call you.

Robocalls are the number one complaint consumers make to the government.

Our government SHOULD be fixing this problem. Instead, we see regulations being relaxed in response to U.S Chamber of Commerce and telemarketing trade groups fretting about restricting business.

The FCC says they are relentlessly working on the problem. Yet the problem multiplies with no end in sight, testimony to government's lack of effectiveness and lack of will.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... even-more/

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development