Workload Corona virus

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
CathysTaxes  
Seaside, I am so sorry about your Dad.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Thank you all. Joan, I can't even image what you went through losing two parents so close together. JAD, prayers for your mom. I know how scary it is to have someone in the hospital and no one there to keep an eye on what is going on. Hope she is home soon!

Seaside CPA wrote:That's fine if others want to work like that, but this year has about done me in. My father died in early March after an extended illness. If you have never gone through a tax season with an illness or death in the family, you do not know the meaning of stress. .

My dad was diagnosed with advanced cancer in 2011, died in March 2013 of suicide since he had become convinced he was not improving and that the cancer was advancing (not what doctors were saying, but still, his body told him otherwise). It hit hard, but I did not have time to really deal with his death in a healthy manner. Accordingly, I ended up "dealing with it" in late 2013 and into 2015 in rather unhealthy ways. A lot of alcohol, suicidal, etc. That was in my late 20s while making six figures in a high end position at a private company, and I was a bit of a prick because of my success...I knew my life had to change, so I immediately resigned my extremely stressful job without giving any notice (coincidentally, my replacement at that company just did the same thing, 6.5 years later). Took a few months off from doing any sort of work, figured out what I wanted to do and what I never wanted to do again. Five years later, here I am doing things my way, making good money, and actually living life.

My dad's death led to a lot of positive things in my life, but I had a cliff to climb after he died. I still miss him, without a doubt, but it ultimately made me reevaluate all of my priorities and money is no longer the top priority. It is why I am fully willing to disengage from PITA clients, whereas other CPAs accept abuse for fear of losing clients.

Twin Turbo Z  
Account Deactivated
CornerstoneCPA wrote:Berkshire, how many staff members to facilitate 900 1040s? Do you do much work beyond tax?

There was a CPA where I live that finally sold out a couple years ago...just the CPA, his wife, and a part-time bookkeeper. Tax only. They did 650 tax returns per year between the 2.5 people, but their work hours were absolutely asinine! Starting at 4am and going until 9-10pm every single day through April 15...yikes.

We average 840 1040's just two of us. Gets crazy !!! Have not seen a slowdown. We did close the office to the public. Only allow drop offs and documents sent via secure portal. And unfortunately we lost 10 days due to Bronchitis. Someone came in coughing and hacking and we both got sick !! No fever thank goodness !! But my wife and I are still not 100%. I think we are done with appointments in the future. Clients dont give a rats ass if they are sick. And my families health is more important.

JAD  
Cornerstone, that is intense. I am sorry about your dad.

Wow, so much insight in this thread. Just wanted to say thanks.

Charge more and work less is my input. I only know because I spent much too long doing the opposite.

Previous

Return to Business Operations and Development