Free Trial: TheSiteFactory.com

Best monitor setup

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
#1
Posts:
25
Joined:
26-Apr-2022 10:00pm
Location:
Los Angeles
Hi,

What is the best monitor setup for tax preparation? or any advice.

I currently have 2 monitors, which is handy (obviously compared to one) especially for Lacerte, because you can have the input on one screen and the Forms (split screen) on the other.

But, I think I need a third screen (for even more efficiency).

Do you like one super big screen and a second smaller one? stacked vertically? 3 side-by-side? something else?


Thanks! 8-)
 

#2
Posts:
202
Joined:
20-Sep-2020 2:59pm
Location:
US
One of My IT guys swears by a 40 inch TV with a plug-in from Microsoft to allow him to set windows that are like monitors.

I have used them stacked and didn’t like it. Side by side takes up so much space so it’s tough to have that 3rd.

Personally for 3, I like two horizontal and 1 vertical, using the vertical for the forms view in lacerte or PDFs and the horizontal for everything else. With this setup you can do 24s for the horizontal and you can get by with a little smaller for the vertical and still be efficient
 

#3
Posts:
4490
Joined:
22-Apr-2014 3:06pm
Location:
WA State
Same
For years, I've used two landscape monitors with a portrait between them.
We recently switched nearly everyone in the office to a three arm setup that clamps to the back ledge of the desk.
~Captcook
 

#4
Posts:
25
Joined:
26-Apr-2022 10:00pm
Location:
Los Angeles
CaptCook wrote:Same
For years, I've used two landscape monitors with a portrait between them.
We recently switched nearly everyone in the office to a three arm setup that clamps to the back ledge of the desk.


Thanks, you put the portrait in the middle? I would probably put it on either side.

I feel like the monitor setup is super important for a tax preparer!
 

#5
Posts:
25
Joined:
26-Apr-2022 10:00pm
Location:
Los Angeles
TaxMan2020 wrote:One of My IT guys swears by a 40 inch TV with a plug-in from Microsoft to allow him to set windows that are like monitors.

I have used them stacked and didn’t like it. Side by side takes up so much space so it’s tough to have that 3rd.

Personally for 3, I like two horizontal and 1 vertical, using the vertical for the forms view in lacerte or PDFs and the horizontal for everything else. With this setup you can do 24s for the horizontal and you can get by with a little smaller for the vertical and still be efficient


Yeah, my other concern is that I have to meet with clients and there is only so much space on my desk.

The 40inch w/ plug-in sounds interesting!!!, can you give me anymore info on that?

Also, I like the idea of stacked because of the footprint, but I don't think I would like how it looks...
 

#6
smtcpa  
Posts:
337
Joined:
28-Jul-2014 5:16am
Location:
Richmond, VA
UltraTax allows me to split the screen, like you have, but all on one monitor. That leaves my second monitor for the source documents. Does Lacerte let you do that? It would avoid a third monitor. I don't know where I'd put three monitors.

telaxman wrote:Hi,

I currently have 2 monitors, which is handy (obviously compared to one) especially for Lacerte, because you can have the input on one screen and the Forms (split screen) on the other.


Thanks! 8-)
 

#7
Posts:
202
Joined:
20-Sep-2020 2:59pm
Location:
US
telaxman wrote:
TaxMan2020 wrote:One of My IT guys swears by a 40 inch TV with a plug-in from Microsoft to allow him to set windows that are like monitors.

I have used them stacked and didn’t like it. Side by side takes up so much space so it’s tough to have that 3rd.

Personally for 3, I like two horizontal and 1 vertical, using the vertical for the forms view in lacerte or PDFs and the horizontal for everything else. With this setup you can do 24s for the horizontal and you can get by with a little smaller for the vertical and still be efficient


Yeah, my other concern is that I have to meet with clients and there is only so much space on my desk.

The 40inch w/ plug-in sounds interesting!!!, can you give me anymore info on that?

Also, I like the idea of stacked because of the footprint, but I don't think I would like how it looks...


https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... fancyzones

It’s part of the power toys collection. You basically split your window into whatever size you want and then you can drag it and as long as it hits the corner it will auto fill it. You can also use command keys to move it based on what he was telling me
 

#8
Posts:
202
Joined:
20-Sep-2020 2:59pm
Location:
US
You can, but depending on your monitor size you make not be able to see the detail that you want

smtcpa wrote:UltraTax allows me to split the screen, like you have, but all on one monitor. That leaves my second monitor for the source documents. Does Lacerte let you do that? It would avoid a third monitor. I don't know where I'd put three monitors.

telaxman wrote:Hi,

I currently have 2 monitors, which is handy (obviously compared to one) especially for Lacerte, because you can have the input on one screen and the Forms (split screen) on the other.


Thanks! 8-)
 

#9
Posts:
2276
Joined:
21-May-2018 7:50am
Location:
A Shark on a Cash Reef!
My primary setup is three 32" monitors with 2560x1440 resolution. I love the size of the monitors but I wish they were a bit higher resolution, though they become very pricey. I'll be upgrading them sooner than later; I have had two of the three 32" since 2015/2016 and the image on lighter colors is starting to look like rolling clouds.

I have another setup in Michigan that is just my laptop and dual 24" 1080p monitors. Not a fan of it right now; my laptop has a 15.6" 4k screen (stupid decision on my part since I rarely use my laptop without connected monitors) and it doesn't scale well, so the 1080p screens are hugely insufficient. I did it being cheap since I already had one of the monitors and figured it would be OK. I'm going to try a different 1080p laptop I have to see if the setup works better with a laptop that is also 1080p.

I have previously used TVs because you can get a large TV for less than a large monitor but the main difference, which is noticeable to me, is pixel density. Monitors have far more pixels and thus provide a clearer image when working so closely to it such as at a desk. TVs are perfect if your viewing distance is across a large table or room.
 

#10
Posts:
504
Joined:
28-May-2014 12:04pm
Location:
Arkansas
I have a three monitor setup with 2 vertical and horizontal, going from left to right.

The two vertical are 26", which got the width I wanted for reading 8 X 11 images really well, but they are a bit tall. I have them set as low as they can go and it works pretty well.

My horizontal monitor is 32" curved screen is frankly where I do most of my tax software work and excel work.

I wish the technology world realized that there is still a huge demand and benefit of square monitors. The widescreen is great for video and excel, but little else IMHO. A square monitor would cut the wasted space that's too far up and allow for even greater readability of an 8 X 11 document (like a tax form) and perhaps the markings/tickmarks beside it. They make such monitors, but at over $1,000 each for anything of significant size, I can't pull the trigger.
 

#11
Posts:
25
Joined:
26-Apr-2022 10:00pm
Location:
Los Angeles
That sounds like a great setup!

Do you like the curved screen? I have never used one.
 

#12
Posts:
504
Joined:
28-May-2014 12:04pm
Location:
Arkansas
telaxman wrote:That sounds like a great setup!

Do you like the curved screen? I have never used one.


It’s very handy, particularly on a bigger screen
 

#13
MWEA  
Posts:
242
Joined:
8-Feb-2018 7:37pm
Location:
Minnesota
I have four 32 inch monitors, two low and two high (clamped to back of a standing desk). Tax software and docs across the bottom. Teams in the upper left as that’s how we mainly communicate in the office. The floating monitor is typically either email or an Internet browser.
 


Return to Business Operations and Development



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests