ATX or ProSeries

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
KTEA  
I’m a solo practitioner, been in tax industry for over 10 years. I have mostly 1040s and returns range from simple ones to very complex.
Some 1065s, trusts and 1120s, just a few. Switching to a different software. My top 2 choices are ATX and ProSeries. Any opinions? Thank you.

cp_acwt  
What are you switching from?

KTEA  
I'm using ProConnect. I will keep using ProConnect for biz and trust returns. ProSeries and ATX would be for the 1040s only.
I used Lacerte for 10 years at a CPA practice I worked for.

It's partly a matter of preference. There isn't a substitute for getting demos of both and trying them to see how intuitive you find them to use. That and making sure that the program you select has all the forms and schedules (states too not just federal!) that you will need.

I wouldn't go back to Proseries if they paid me to use it much less would I buy it. I found the data entry intolerably awkward. I demo'ed ATX and it seemed pretty user friendly. But that is just me.
Because on T.A. ten was the most you were allowed

KTEA  
I got demo for both. I can't decide. What did you end-up getting as a software?

KTEA wrote:I got demo for both. I can't decide.

How many of your current tax returns did you prepare in each software? Did you try each type of return (both personal and entity)? Did you test your more complex returns in each, especially multi-state issues? What aspects of each software seem to be strengths for your firm, and what aspects seem to be weaknesses?

Personally, I went to Drake which isn't on your radar. It has its faults and eccentricities like all tax programs but it worked OK for me.

If I was choosing between ATX and Proseries, it would be ATX by a very large margin. But that's mostly because I found Proseries data entry to be not just "not user friendly" or even "user indifferent" but outright "user hostile" ... but I have spoken to people who really like their data entry so really it's just a matter of what seems intuitive to you.
Because on T.A. ten was the most you were allowed

ATSMAN  
KTEA wrote:I’m a solo practitioner, been in tax industry for over 10 years. I have mostly 1040s and returns range from simple ones to very complex.
Some 1065s, trusts and 1120s, just a few. Switching to a different software. My top 2 choices are ATX and ProSeries. Any opinions? Thank you.

I have gone through software conversions twice and it was not pleasant and stressful. The first time I was starting out and "pricing" was the issue. The second time my chosen software decided to "screw it up" for 2012 tax year and their entire user base collapsed.

Lessons learned:

1) If you like the features and it does a decent job for your operation, pricing should not be a big factor unless the increase is outrageous. The learning curve costs and stress associated with it is not worth the few hundred dollar savings.

2) Fully prepare al types of returns that you normally prepare with the new software and compare the results, data input quirks etc. Time yourself. You don't want to just use the sample returns they provide because they are optimize for that software.

3) If you have a small batch of returns that don't work with your software you have to make a quick decision. Either find a per return option that you can adequately bill and still make a profit or quit doing them.

4) Choose wisely because there may be a point of no return and do all this work during off season. NEVER just before the start of a tax season. The 2012 debacle happened during tax season and it almost put me out of business :oops:

zl28  
The accuracy on ProSeries is very good.

It's not the easiest software which can be a hurdle for staff.

I switched 10 years ago when ATX software didn't work in tax season - can you believe it...like 10k customers left i believe.

JR1  
ATX is extraordinarily clunky, built out of Excel!! Yes, cheap....but really.....

ProSeries is so slick, I do most returns in 20 min. And all the forms, biz, 990, 709's, states....and I do hate Intuit, so consider that. lol
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

Return to Business Operations and Development