Engagement Letter - Ongoing Retainer Issue

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
TAXTAX  
My individual tax client just asked me a question about a tax issue concerning his business.

I told him about my hourly rate and the retainer I needed. In the email, I briefly talk about how retainers work. I told her that i will need 2 hours' fee as retainer. When it goes near to the 1 hour mark, she will have to replenish the retainer.

This may be a one time engagement or there may be more tax issues coming up. How should I address this in the letter?
Would any one be able to send me an engagement letter on this issue as a sample?

Or would you not send an engagement letter and just have her to pay you two hours retainer, then send a complete bill her after the job is done.

All of my engagement letters indicate the client may be subject to a nonrefundable deposit of at least 50% of the estimated fees, or 100% if agreed upon fee.

In this case, I would simply get the engagement letter and then send an invoice for the retainer/deposit and make sure you feel it is sufficient to cover bulk of work. It does not make much sense to bill in 2 hour increments if it is something that takes 6+ hours.

For two hours of general business tax questions I probably wouldn't use an engagement letter. I'd just bill based on time used.

Why are you going to stop work at the 1 hour mark if they've paid a 2 hour retainer? Why not at the 2 hour mark? I would think that would irk most clients.

TAXTAX  
i agree with you both. I would probably tell the client that I would stop working when 2 hours limits is up. And I probably do not want to issue an engagement letter.

ATSMAN  
My individual tax client just asked me a question about a tax issue concerning his business.

TaxTax what was the tax question? Is this a Sole Prop?

If this was a relatively simple question that does not require more information or research, I would simply invoice the hourly rate x hours (rounded up). Otherwise a separate engagement letter regarding business tax issues would be put in place because the initial question may lead to more questions and you guys know the drill.

Return to Business Operations and Development