Don't want to send prior returns

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Client passed in 2021 and it has not been an easy time dealing with the bickering family.

Just now, we received a request for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 for the tax returns of the deceased client.

It is probably OK to send them to this person, but I don't want to.

Our engagement agreement states clearly that I don't have to.

But he is incorrectly, in my opinion, quoting the law that says I have to store and provide them to him and I think next will come some threats.

How is this for an explanation that keep me out of trouble but squashes the notion....

Dear [xxxx]

Storing and delivering prior year tax returns on behalf of clients is not a service that we offer or provide, and we have already met our 26 CFR § 1.6107-1 tax code and engagement agreement obligations by providing the copies to the late Mr XXXXX upon the filing of those tax returns. We have also already provided a copy of his 2021 final tax return to you upon its filing.

It might help to note that transcripts can be obtained from the IRS website for generally no cost here:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Thanks, ItDepends

WDYT? Anything better to fend off a threat (with no basis)?

AlexCPA  
"Given that we have already provided the aforementioned tax returns, please note that our fee for re-sending income tax returns for prior tax years is $125.00 per tax year. Accordingly, please pay the attached invoice at your earliest convenience so that we may provide the requested returns."

Seems like a quick and easy way to make $500.00.
Even more of my antics may be found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXDitB ... sMwfO19h7A

ItDepends wrote:Client passed in 2021 and it has not been an easy time dealing with the bickering family.

Just now, we received a request for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 for the tax returns of the deceased client.

It is probably OK to send them to this person, but I don't want to.

Our engagement agreement states clearly that I don't have to.

But he is incorrectly, in my opinion, quoting the law that says I have to store and provide them to him and I think next will come some threats.

How is this for an explanation that keep me out of trouble but squashes the notion....

Dear [xxxx]

Storing and delivering prior year tax returns on behalf of clients is not a service that we offer or provide, and we have already met our 26 CFR § 1.6107-1 tax code and engagement agreement obligations by providing the copies to the late Mr XXXXX upon the filing of those tax returns. We have also already provided a copy of his 2021 final tax return to you upon its filing.

It might help to note that transcripts can be obtained from the IRS website for generally no cost here:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Thanks, ItDepends

WDYT? Anything better to fend off a threat (with no basis)?

This would take 5 minutes in my office. Just curious as to why you are willing to create such animosity for something so easy. In all respect, I'd give the exec/admin/spouse the returns and as Alex said, you can charge a fee but I wouldn't even do that. Just give them what they want and wash your hands of them forever.

smtcpa  
I agree. The time to compose the response and this thread, during tax season no less, already exceeds the time it would have taken to do it and move on.

southparkcpa wrote:

This would take 5 minutes in my office. Just curious as to why you are willing to create such animosity for something so easy. In all respect, I'd give the exec/admin/spouse the returns and as Alex said, you can charge a fee but I wouldn't even do that. Just give them what they want and wash your hands of them forever.[/quote]

AlexCPA wrote:please note that our fee for re-sending income tax returns for prior tax years is $125.00 per tax year.

Those CA admin fees are steep. :)

I agree with Alex. Provide them, assuming the person requesting them is an authorized person (executor/settler), but notify them that you'll be charging an administrative fee as the returns were previously provided to the deceased. If the deceased does not have them in their records or if they can't find them, they should pay my invoice so we can proceed. I'd do $50-75 per return, the higher end if I expect push back or back and forth over the fee, but that's just me.

It would probably take me 10 minutes to pull four tax years and provide via secure download link. It's just the back and forth, and pushback that may be the time sink here.

Just curious as to why you are willing to create such animosity for something so easy.

Client is difficult, accusive, immature, unresponsive, demanding, risky, litigious, and has unending questions.

I'm WAY upside-down with the filing of the simple final tax return already.

He will have questions and problems with the way the tax returns have been filed (even though they are just fine), and I'd rather just be done with him.

But given the consensus of the answers (thank you), I will go the $75 route (I will accept $50 when he starts complaining and negotiating).

When he asks questions, I know the first thought might be to charge my normal hourly rate to work with him, but I don't want to work with him. My plan now, after he has the tax returns and creates problems with them, is to just tell him that we are not engaged nor will we become engaged to discuss these items.

See.... it doesn't end with just sending them, and there will be animosity and stiff-arming no matter what I do.
Last edited by ItDepends on 29-Mar-2023 12:48pm, edited 3 times in total.

ItDepends wrote:
Just curious as to why you are willing to create such animosity for something so easy.

Client is difficult, accusive, immature, unresponsive, demanding, risky, litigious, and has unending questions.

I'm WAY upside-down with the filing of the simple final tax return already.

He will have questions and problems with the way the tax returns have been filed (even though they are just fine), and I'd rather just be done with him.

But given the consensus of the answers (thank you), I will go the $75 route (I will accept $50 when he starts complaining and negotiating).

When he asks questions, I know the consensus might be to charge my normal hourly rate to work with him, but I don't want to work with him. My plan now, after he has the tax returns and creates problems with them, is to just tell him that we are not engaged nor will we become engaged to discuss these items.

See.... it doesn't end with just sending them, and there will be animosity no matter what I do.

That might be one of the greatest answers in the short history of this discussion board. Made me smile.

:lol:

Beagle  
When people are jerks, do NOT give into them. If they sense you'll take it or do whatever it takes to make them happy - the jerk level will skyrocket. Jerks treat powerless people horribly and if they sense you are willing to accept it, it will never stop. Any time they want to feel powerful - you will be the person they call if you let them get away with it.

I can hear the guy in the next office from mine yelling at customer service people on the phone all the time. He tried doing it in the building to one of the ladies and now he thinks I'm the jerk. Bullies will always be bullies.

Return to Business Operations and Development