Online Tax Research

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Small firm - 4 partners. We have been using TR Checkpoint for years and just renewed for over 6 grand. We are in the market for something less expensive if it will suffice. Frankly Checkpoint is probably overkill. Have read reviews on The Tax Book and Parker Tax Pro Library. Anyone using these? They are a few hundred a year - just wondered if you get what you pay for here.

Lexisnexis for accountants is a bit cheaper than checkpoint and I like it better. Ask them for a free demo. The layout is organized like chapters in a book. They use google for their search so it's easier to search items ober checkpoint. You can use the "shepard" when looking up case law. Basically it will tell you if a tax court case was overturned in part or in whole, or if the case is still relevant and usable.

They also hate TR so if you say you're considering switching, maybe they will offer a steeper discount.

ATSMAN  
WebLibrary Plus from Tax Materials is around $279 per year. Not as exhaustive as Checkpoint for case references.

Frankly  
I had Web Library Plus for a year and found it to be extremely lacking. There is no editorial commentary. The biggest deficiency was the search function which was annoyingly inadequate.
Parker runs circles around it.

NE EA  
We have TR Checkpoint but only pay a 3rd the cost, so I'm guessing it is what you are subscribing to for the research. We have the small and medium CPA firm Federal Tax Compliance Library and the IRS Response Library and the PPC Guides to Troubled Businesses. Mostly PPC guides, but it does give us access to Tax cases and other research materials. Not sure this helps but for what it's worth.
Last edited by NE EA on 25-Jul-2017 11:25am, edited 1 time in total.

I am trying to decide between Thomson Reuters Checkpoint [RIA tax coordinator specifically] and BNA Tax Practice Series. Checkpoint runs $1,335 annually and BNA costs $1,495. I've used the BNA service at different times over the years and was recently trying out Checkpoint on a trial basis. Does anyone have an opinion regarding either or both of these research vehicles especially from an easy to use functionality as well as editorial analysis?

Return to Business Operations and Development