IRS Secure Access for e-services

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Has anyone completed the new validation process for e-services yet?

I went to to the Tax Pros link on the IRS page, and I am seeing several links: e-services Secure Mailbox; TDS; e-file application, etc.

The links take me to a login page. Can I choose any of these links to start the validation process? If I choose TDS, will the validation enable me to access the e-file application also? I did not see a link to "Secure Access" as I expected to.

What am I missing?

Joan TB  
I am also very frustrated with the Secure Access login process. I called the e-help desk yesterday, and was on hold forfor 1hr, 10 minutes without ever speaking to anyone. I was going to call again today, but just haven't had a chance yet. If I find out anything useful, I will post again.

I did get through with someone a few minutes ago. She said you (I) could choose TDS and start the process there. If you already have an account with e-services, use that login, and the next screen pops up where you start the validation. I did try that, but wanted to make sure before I went through the process using TDS that I would not inadvertently lock myself out of the other services, hence my question. She said she hoped they would update the FAQs on the site to let people know they could start with the TDS link.

Once the tax pro is validated under the TDS system, he/she should be able to access all of the other services using the Secure Access login system. At least that is what I was told.

I just have to get a credit freeze lifted, and I will have to wait for my code through the mail for another reason. I have not tried the whole process yet because of the credit freeze lift, but will let you know what my experience is.

You may be able to complete it online more easily than I can if you don't have a credit freeze or a pay-as-you-go phone.

TaxDude  
I tried yesterday. The system wouldn't recognize my cell number then stated I would need to wait for a code by mail. I then continued to complete my profile and an error message stated my email was already in the system. Well yeah, of course. I already had an e-services account. I tried to log in several times but then eventually had to cancel. I called the e-services help desk and after being on hold for 90 minutes I got a message that the help desk was closed.

I tried to set up my profile again this morning and got a message that my account was locked due to incorrect information to try back in 24 hours. I suppose I'll have to try calling the help desk again.

WEISSEA  
To my surprise I signed on e services Monday and signed and updated my profile received IRS sent codes via text message and was off and running in 5 minutes. I had called e help a few days ago( 2 min wait) as in 2014 I got my personal transcript through Get a transcript tool and was verified then ( credit card, cell phone) and they checked and said I was already verified for secure access. Here I had just unlock my equifax freeze anticipating a bunch of out of the wallet questions and really didnot have to do that.
Tip: if on signin your password doesnot work(my case also) just click the forgot password link.

skassel  
I was on hold a total of 2 plus hours yesterday for 2 separate calls.

This improved system is a joke. I understand the purpose is to come into compliance with Federal law, but it is a complete mess. I got through the entire process only to be told that the Auto Loan account number I entered was incorrect and couldn't be matched to my Experian credit report. It wasn't incorrect. I even went directly to my credit report and made certain that the numbers matched.

The current hold queue as of 12:30 PM Pacific time is so full that the system can't even take my call.
Steve Kassel, EA

AmirK  
My re registration was not difficult yesterday. The whole process took probably 10 minutes. I did not have to call anyone.
At first my password was not recognized. After clicking on "forgot password" there were series of questions which I answered to establish my identity. A validation code was sent to my phone via text.After that I had to choose a password and that was it.

Joan TB  
I tried again and it says that my cell phone is already used on another account so I can't use it now. So then it kicked me out and I will have to wait for the mail validation code. I tried to call earlier today, but then I had an appointment come in so I had to hang up. Really frustrating. I ended up having to call PPS to get the wage & income transcript I needed.

COGS  
This is the topic I came on line to vent about. It has not recognized any of the credit card numbers or loan numbers. So I am locked out of trying for 24 hours.

This is bad!

makbo  
I did this earlier in the year when tax pros were first alerted. I have a pay as you go phone and it still worked like a charm.

skassel  
No, you didn't makbo. This is new as of December 10.
Steve Kassel, EA

skassel  
I once again got kicked out for 24 hours even though everything I put in is correct. I am on hold with e-Services help desk now. Wait time at this moment is 15-30 minutes.
Steve Kassel, EA

skassel  
skassel wrote:I once again got kicked out for 24 hours even though everything I put in is correct. I am on hold with e-Services help desk now. Wait time at this moment is 15-30 minutes.

Edited update....on hold now for 33 minutes.
Steve Kassel, EA

makbo  
skassel wrote:No, you didn't makbo. This is new as of December 10.

You are quite wrong about that (not about something new, but that I didn't go through authentication already). Earlier, it was possible to go through the validation procedure for "Get Transcript" (the service available to all taxpayers). I successfully completed all the credit report questions and other validation back then (May 2016). As IRS stated, that was sufficient to validate the eServices login as well.

Note: this was all explained in Letter 5903 (11-2016) which I received one year ago, I thought all active eservices users received the same letter. That letter said, if you completed Secure Access authentication through Get Transcript Online after May 2016, you did not need to take any further action. That statement still appears to be true.

I just now logged in, I did NOT have to answer any questions, I did not have to accept any new agreement. They did wipe out my existing password, so I had to request a temporary one and then reset it back to what it was, but otherwise the system knew me, it knew my security image and phrase, it knew my email, it knew what phone to text the auth code to, all without me entering any new information. The login history it showed me was bogus (I log in once a month, but it showed Dec 2016 as my last login, which I guess was when I followed the instructions in Letter 5903), but otherwise everything appeared as it usually does to me.

Incidentally, I normally use Internet Exploder browser for eservices access, but it was acting up a lot and throwing page errors, so I switched to the latest and highly recommended Firefox Quantum browser, the one I use for everything else, it worked much better. But I imagine the system is struggling to handle the load as so many people at the same time all try to revalidate

makbo  
See post #5 (confirming my experience), see also this thread from a year ago:

viewtopic.php?p=75591#p75591

The point is, tax pros have had several opportunities to handle this over the last year and a half, so if you're just now doing it and running into a time crunch, it's partly your own fault.

Last year I did go through a separate validation process for e-services. Since I have a pay-as-you-go phone, I had to call the e-help desk to complete the verification. The rep asked several PII questions, and I was good to go for e-services.

However, I have never created a Get Transcript profile, View your tax account, or IP PIN. That's why I had to go through the process again under the new Secure Access protocol. I tried it today, and everything seemed to go well. I do have to get my validation code by mail since I have a pay-as-you-go mobile account, but as everything else went seamlessly, I am not anticipating any problems once I get that. I will, however, let you know.

Note that I had to lift my security freeze yesterday, so I did not have problems with the credit questions.

Makbo, The reason yours was probably easier than some of ours is that you had already been through the process with Get Transcript, and they only had to update your account.

Gjkycpa  
Having trouble getting validated. Will wait another 24 hours (again) and retry.

Main reason I am doing this is to change EFIN name. We have changed our business name (same owners, same FEI, still S Corp).
My tax software vendor (Drake), said I had to change the name on the EFIN before they could change name as shown on 1040/1120, etc as firm. We have notified IRS, State Board and KY SOS of name change. Am I missing something?

irc162  
Account Deactivated
I would like to play devil's advocate for a minute....I get that two factor authentication is supposed to increase security. But even so, I am wondering about the security of E Services. By creating an E Services account, I am opening a door that some bad actor can potentially walk through. I wonder if this is worth it? I don't obtain online transcripts for clients and haven't needed a POA in over ten years. About the only thing I do with E Services is to check the number of returns prepared under my EFIN. In prior years, other IRS online tools have been subject to unauthorized access. Is the new, improved security enough to ensure that won't happen here or would it be better for me to sit this one out for awhile...Like I said, I am playing devil's advocate here....What do you think?

I too am waiting for an activation code by mail. It appears the new system will require a 2 part authentication process. Does this mean that each time I log into e services I will need a code to go along with my user name & password?

makbo  
scotchhighlander wrote:Does this mean that each time I log into e services I will need a code to go along with my user name & password?

Yes. It's called two factor authentication, and is already quite common in the internet world, used by all the major firms - Google, Apply, etc.

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development