Webinars for new 199A

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
MRTax  
Does anyone have any recommendations for webinars specifically dealing with considerations for choice of entity in light of the new 199A deduction? We're looking for a good resource on considering whether our C Corporations should make an S Election, (and possibly whether our S corporations want to be C Corps).

We've done quite a few of the webinars from Leimberg https://leimbergservices.com/wdev/upcoming.cfm on the new tax reform. We've done the general 199A topics and some of the estate planning classes. All of them have been very informative, very well presented and have provided an excellent overview as well as some planning ideas for our clients.

JAD  
AICPA is doing one. I did a 4 hour class on the new law that was excellent. It might have been my first AICPA webcast. I am going to take one of these. I especially like that they are breaking it down to less than 8 hours. I don't care who is speaking - my brain does not absorb 8 hours of this stuff

Tax Reform: The New Qualified Business Income (QBI) Deduction

This webcast provides a comprehensive overview of the new Qualified Business Income (QBI) deduction. The Section 199A Small Business Deduction has been one of our most asked about areas of the new tax law.
Webcast
Feb 1 or Feb 8
1:00 PM ET
CPE Credit: 2

Register Now

Gjkycpa  
We are set to do one next Tuesday with Tax Speaker.Com (Bob Jennings previous Gear Up speaker before they were gobbled up).

belle  
Bloomberg did one yesterday (it was actually "entity selection in light of TCJA) that had a lot of info. It is archived for those that attended; it might be available to others. There wasn't any CPE for it (I've got so much already that I don't care...).
CPAacademy is hosting a few, some are free & some you do have to pay.

If you keep up with the forums here, you probably know more than the average practitioner. My concerns about attending a §199A seminar right now is that good answers don't exist at all for the hard questions. What businesses are the evil, naughty businesses that do not qualify for the deduction above the taxable income limits? For a schedule C filer or partner, which of Form 1040 lines 27, 28, and 29 will reduce qualified business income? Those are really important questions that require IRS regs to be written, and until then they are all shooting at a moving target.

JR1  
Yeah, I think it's pretty silly for anyone to pretend they know the rules when NO regs or anything have been issued. At all. We're merely guessing.
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

I did the Bob Jennings webinar. The very last part was dedicated to 199A and I was disappointed because the sales pitch made it seem like it would be more involved (and include choice of entity) which there was no time to cover. I generally like his stuff but I was disappointed. It was his first class so i am interested if that has changed. Maybe GJKYCPA can tell us.

belle  
missingdonut wrote:If you keep up with the forums here, you probably know more than the average practitioner. My concerns about attending a §199A seminar right now is that good answers don't exist at all for the hard questions. What businesses are the evil, naughty businesses that do not qualify for the deduction above the taxable income limits? For a schedule C filer or partner, which of Form 1040 lines 27, 28, and 29 will reduce qualified business income? Those are really important questions that require IRS regs to be written, and until then they are all shooting at a moving target.

Yeah, I think it's pretty silly for anyone to pretend they know the rules when NO regs or anything have been issued. At all. We're merely guessing.

A*M*E*N* to those observations ....

Gjkycpa  
Did the Bob Jennings seminar yesterday. He is a former Gear Up speaker and very good. He did mention several times about pending regs to clarify a lot of the new tax bill. The seminar was good, but as noted above not enough time spent on entity choice and/or converting. He did say it might be worthwhile to look at Converting from S to C if household income was below $100,000 or above $300,000. As you pro's know, each client situation must be analyzed on it's own merit, as he strongly emphasized. All in all the seminar was worth the price and the CPE. Similar to Gear Up manuals, the text was excellent.

Return to Business Operations and Development