W-2 Scam???

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
FLAcct  
I have received about 4 emails now with a person's name (different name each time - all unknown to me) that says their W-2 is attached. Since I don't know the person I have just deleted the email. I feel this is probably a scam and they want me to click on the link to their supposed W-2.

Has anyone else received any emails like this???

ATSMAN  
Yes. Do NOT OPEN THE LINK!

They want you to click on the link to trick you to download a malware disguised as a W2. :twisted:

Be very careful with attachments. It’s analogous to opening your front door to a criminal - once you open bad attachment , criminal can do whatever they want and has free reign over your computer

skassel  
Unless it's raining when you open the front door to the criminal in which case, the free reign is also free rain.
Steve Kassel, EA

smtcpa  
I've been getting these for years. Also the one that supposedly has their prior year tax return attached.

JR1  
I"ve never gotten them until this year, and I'm getting at least one a week. Fortunately, it's just me, here! So I know the names, but it's weird since they come as pdf's....
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

Glad I checked on this!!! I have an e-mail waiting to be opened, it's been there a little over a week, from a very good client. It says his W-2 is attached with a very long link. Now that I've read this I realize it has to be a scam, that client retired last year and won't have a W-2. After all the computer problems I've just had since the fall - I really don't need more! What jerks.

ATSMAN  
actionbsns wrote:Glad I checked on this!!! I have an e-mail waiting to be opened, it's been there a little over a week, from a very good client. It says his W-2 is attached with a very long link. Now that I've read this I realize it has to be a scam, that client retired last year and won't have a W-2. After all the computer problems I've just had since the fall - I really don't need more! What jerks.

Somehow that client's e-mail was made available to the crooks and they connected that to your business e-mail.

I was told by a IT person that there are sophisticated gangs that will pop up a message on your browser that your computer is running slow or has viruses and they can fix it in no time for only $19.99. If you say yes, they direct you to a website and then they gain control of your pc remotely. They will download all the contact, banking and other sensitive information and let you go! You are happy that they did not seek a ransom, but they got what they wanted!

Frankly  
ATSMAN wrote: They will download all the contact, banking and other sensitive information and let you go!
This is a common warning. I've always wondered though exactly where on my PC can the banking and other sensitive information be found?

Derby  
Frank, even if you don't have that info in an obvious file, there's a chance they install a trojan that quietly collects your passwords (including online and software passwords) that you type in the future, even after the original connection is closed.

Return to Business Operations and Development