IRS notice post dated

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
brusso  
I received a copy of an IRS notice to one of my clients. The notice date is October, 6, 2014 yet today is only 9/29/14. I seem to recall getting another one that was dated after present date. Is this something new or is this an error? Anyone else get notices like this?
Thanks

JAD  
I've seen a few notices this year, and they've all been post-dated. I also wondered why, but didn't care enough to follow up.

Joan TB  
I've gotten some of those as well. But when the letter says something like "reply within 60 days from the date of this notice", then you have more time!!

smtcpa  
Notices I get from the IRS are almost always post-dated. Yours seems more than normal. They are mostly computer generated and they print ahead of time to allow for processing and mail delivery time. I guess they underestimate how quickly they get to the TP.

I think the procedure for the automated notices is a 7-day post-dating, not including weekends and holidays. So, in OP's case, the notice was probably issued on Friday, 9/26. Eleven days out would be 10/6 and there's 4 weekend days in between. Eleven minus 4 equals 7.

I think this just started in the last year or so, but I see almost all of the IRS letters going out post dated a week or so and assume the ones that are not post dated probably were but the client just didn't get them to me asap. I know.. you've never had a client that waited 2 weeks to send you the letter <sighs>. I think they are just allowing for mailing time and weekends like CK and smtcpa said.
Jim
Pettit Financial Services

it's been going on at least a year, and once it really caused some problems.

Corporate client was audited and owed about $30,000 spread over 4 audit years. Auditor said to wait and pay with the notice when it arrives. Notices for the 4 years all arrive on June 10th, dated June 9th (I have the POA so I'm getting copies directly). All of the notices specifically say "this wasn't an audit, your return may be examined in the future..." so I tell the client to give me a couple of days to check these against the audits.

They are the audit adjustments so I instruct the client to pay them on the 13th. Client mails off the checks on the 16th (5 business days after the date of the first notice).

The client receives a notice of intent to levy (4 of them, 1 for each year, certified) and is in a panic. The notices are dated 06/30/14, which is only 21 days after the first notice. That's not much time. However, we both received them on the Friday 06/20/14.

I called the IRS and they confirmed the payments had cleared. I casually mentioned that my client panicked because the IRS threatened to levy so fast, and asked if I had missed an earlier payment request. The IRS chews me out saying a client should pay their audit results immediately as there is no question on the amount due. To which I responded, I understand that, but 1) we paid within 5 days and 2) the notices said they weren't because of an audit. She told me to take it up with Congress and began to rant. I said listen, I'm not mad at you, I'm not mad at all (well I was getting that way), I've just never seen anything like this in 19 years. Her reply - get used to it.

I wrote her name and ID number down. If I ever have any future cases and she picks up the phone I'm hanging up and calling back with hopes of getting someone else.

I'm responding to a notice right now dated October 27th. I love bolding that date in the notice just to make sure it's easily seen by the client and the IRS. Why? Because I must...

I had heard that they were doing this to allow for processing and mailing so that the taxpayer had the full statutory time to respond to the notice. At the time I was dealing with more 1058's so I was grateful for the few additional days.

Return to Business Operations and Development