Instant productivity boost: vertical monitor

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I finally tried out a 27" monitor rotated 90 degrees to vertical orientation, and it's been great, wished I'd done it years ago. Much of the web and software, I'm realizing, are designed for more than portrait-orientation screen height...while monitor shapes are designed for watching movies.

In Proseries you can see an entire form or entry worksheet at once and it really speeds things up. For web reading sites like WSJ are way better without being trapped in that top part of the site.

I got a new Asus monitor, they have a bunch that are ready for setting up in either orientation out of the box. But there are plenty of options and it's hard to spend even $300 unless you go 4k (which wouldn't be a bad idea). And you can just get brackets to mount monitors not built for it.

Give it a try!

Absolutely! I actually have two monitors that are vertical, as UltraTax can show the forms and the input screens at the same time and both are typically vertically oriented.

I've had a vertical monitor for about 10yrs. It's fantastic
~Captcook

Frankly  
I had a vertical monitor a few years ago. It was a hassle to turn the thing from vertical to horizontal depending on the need. Vertical works well for forms and word processing; horizontal works better for spreadsheets and internet use. Eventually quit the frequent switching and left it horizontal.

Perhaps a better solution would be two monitors, one vertical and one horizontal.

Frankly wrote:Perhaps a better solution would be two monitors, one vertical and one horizontal.

Yeah, but why stop at two? I'm up to three facing me (2 vertical and 1 horizontal) and one that faces the client so we can review the 2 year comparison together.

Frankly wrote:Perhaps a better solution would be two monitors, one vertical and one horizontal.

Or...Three monitors, two horizontal/one vertical. I hate when I have to go back to two.
~Captcook

Webster  
Two vertical and one horizontal. For next year I want to add another horizontal. Fully paperless this year since I am working remotely, so I have to have enough monitor space.

Andee  
I've had three for the last 8+ years. In the past, I've had two with vertical orientation for UT, and then one horizontal for email and spreadsheets. I have a new wider screen monitor this year, and am using all three of mine horizontally. I played around with UT settings and have found one I prefer over my old settings. You can set to dual view and see the form and input screen on one monitor; I do this on my wide monitor. Then I have prior view set to display on one of the smaller monitors. This has worked surprisingly well for me and I thought I'd share in the event any of you have wider horizontal monitors.

Return to Business Operations and Development