Need Help - Foreign Tax Credit Issue in ProSeries

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Hi Everyone:

I'm lost and stuck on the PS Foreign Tax Credit form module. Here's the information:

- I've entered 2 categories of income "ordinary dividends" and "general category" , and thus am dealing with 2 copies of form 1116.Taxpayer paid foreign taxes on both these categories.
- I've completed the total foreign vs US source income section worksheet in PS, so that foreign / US source income is itemized on the program worksheet "Form 1116 Supplementary Statement"

- I'm getting the following error:

Form 1116 (COPY-1) Explanation Stm_Detailed Exp.-1 must be completed. Enter your explanation here to complete the required statement. It must show the other deduction items for the column 3B column A

Does anyone know what the hell I'm supposed to do here ? I don't know if its my own ignorance of the FTC ? Or just an issue with Proseries ? I'm just staring at the screen here and totally lost

Thanks so much!!

David

I don't use ProSeries, but are you sure you are required to file the Form 1116? If Foreign Tax is less than $600 (MFJ), check into it. You may be able to file the election to not file the form.

Hi Seaside:
TP paid 18 k in foreign taxes , so can’t skip 1116. Any other ideas ?
Thanks ,David

novacpa  
I've never seen a "general category dividend" I know what "qualified and unqualified dividends" are.
Maybe you used the wrong class.

sjrcpa  
OP said General Category, for income, not general category dividends.

sjrcpa  
Gbfr-I don't use ProSeries but when I have these 1116 issues I get the form and instructions and fill it out by hand. Then I back into the software.

Thanks, that's what I've ended up doing.

Return to Business Operations and Development