"Join the TurboTax Team" message from Intuit

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
chris  
Got one of those emails today from Intuit, asking if I want to hire on to their "turbotax advice services team" for the upcoming tax season.

Anyone here ever look into it or actually do it? I'm wondering if it would be a decent way to earn some extra money or would it end up being the tax accountant version of this:

http://filmscoreclicktrack.com/wp-conte ... 106730.jpg

Also, if I'm helping TurboTax users would I be considered a traitor among my friends here, and not allowed to sit at the same lunch table anymore?
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

CathysTaxes  
I thought about that, but I'm willing to bet that the most volume of the calls would be when you're busiest and I don't think they pay very well.

As far as being allowed to set at the same lunch table, it depends on what you're bringing? I've got homemade banana cake with homemade chocolate frosting. Who wants to lunch with me?
Cathy
CathysTaxes

chris  
I'm in! All I have are baby carrots in a baggie :-(

thanks..yeah I figure it might be a time black hole and a low-paying gig...
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

I know at least one EA that does this. It's extra money and you can work at night, which I think is the point-- basically you are on-call, answering basic tax questions after your normal job is over. The pay is terrible, though. But hey, it's extra money--maybe you can try for one season and let us know if it's worth it.

jesella  
I did it for a season two years ago. Now I'm so busy with my practice I can't find time to sleep, much less take another job.

It was a great learning experience as there was never a dull moment. The questions were all across the board from questions you and I can answer in our sleep to mind-boggling grey area questions. It was good for sharpening tax knowledge and research skills. The base hourly rate wasn't the greatest, but the bonus made up for it. Working from home made for a nice commute, and I worked with a group of helpful, friendly, and talented tax pros across the country.

I'd recommend it to someone who has extra hours available, needs a bit of extra money, and is really comfortable with technology. There isn't really a down-side... as tax people, isn't our mantra that we can survive anything for four months?

I think I've just been bumped from the lunch table. ;)

johnmh3  
I gave this a try last tax season and it was a colossal disaster. 9 out of 10 times Intuit referred a potential client, they were requesting services that I specifically stated in my profile that I did not offer, specifically non-resident (NR) returns. After rejecting them I was banned by Intuit along with a snarky email about it being clear that this was not a good fit for me.

Fortunately, it didn't involve any fees, but it was a waste of time and effort. I do not recommend it.

Return to Business Operations and Development