Client Copy of the Tax Returns

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
What do you include in the client copy of their tax returns?

I put in the actual returns. I also include other records and schedules generated by the tax program I used. Somehow I thought that it may be a bit confusing if they have to send it to other parties.

What do you include in the copy?

CathysTaxes  
What ever my software decides is important to the client.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

If I ever get run over by a Number 7 bus, I hope that the information in the client copy will be enough to allow a new preparer to do a decent job. So depreciation, carry-over losses etc are essential in my view.

ATSMAN  
It depends on the sophistication of the client. I don't overwhelm them with each and every data input worksheet like Turbo Tax (128 pages for an itemized return). I make sure that the client understands what each form or schedule is and how that information relates to their tax return. A good example is the Student Loan, Or Tuition/Education Credit worksheets. Another important worksheet would be income and expense allocation for multi-state returns.

For Sch C, E, F taxpayers their Federal and State depreciation schedules are included. Unfortunately I have to explain the state differences because of my home state of MA.

For the client, pretty much whatever my software prints out. I do remove a few of the extraneous bits (like UltraTax's "return summary" when there is already a 2 year comparison). I always print depreciation schedules and put them in the back of a dead-tree version, for the clients who still want the folders.

Return to Business Operations and Development