Discount for Lucion FileCenter doc management app

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Here is the link:
https://www.lucion.com/filecenter-raphael

I asked if they wanted to offer a group discount after I had already purchased, so I'm independent on this.

Not for bigger firms probably because doubt if it has the permission controls and possibly retention policy settings of dms that use databases such as SQL. The attraction for me is that it's compatible with Office 365 SharePoint. I want a cloud dms, but not a proprietary one, and I'd trust Microsoft's security much more than most small cloud dms vendors. SharePoint theoretically provides versioning, which my current local SQL based based dms does not. My current dms also cannot gracefully handle linked Excel sheets, or docs linked to OneNote docs. My current dms for reasons unknown, occassionaly fails to save docs. I haven't tested that but would hope that FileCenter could because it's basically an overlay on top of Windows file structure.

You can use either the Acrobat clone it comes with or Adobe Acrobat.

"For all inquiries or requests for price quote and sales to be honored at this price, send an email to Kevin Anderson, kevin@lucion.com If they would like to see a demonstration of the product or download a trial, also send an email to kevin@... and we can register them under our system to receive the discount"

Len

Frankly  
My current document management system includes saving files to my hard drive. What does this do beyond that?

I'm not endorsing this, just passing it on.

A cpa acquaintence who knows his IT stuff has been using it for a couple of years and swears by it. But he's not using it with SharePoint.

Lucion's site lists their features. How do they compare to the one you use? Which are you using?

Len Raphael
Oakland CA

I've grown quite fond to FileCenter. The only problem is not their fault but Microsoft's: if you want to store your FC docs in Office 365 SharePoint you either have to buy a third party drive letter tool Zee Drive, or if hassle with pointing to the faster locally synched SharePoint. (call Office 365 free support for how to synch locally).

if there's just two or three users, who don't change pcs, easy to configure one pc at a time. But more than that you either can't use SharePoint or you'll have to follow the convoluted instructions I came up with below. Big advantages to SharePoint: cloud access, secure, versioning, collaboration.

Tested out a rough version of this procedure and command line ver of the batch file, and it looks like the "net use" command would work fine. There are a few steps you gotta perform at each machine, for each windows user that will use FileCenter at the that machine. But it's worth doing instead of configuring each each user for FileCenter at each possible machine. Especially if you want to control permissions and set uniform naming conventions for files etc.

If MSoft just created an envirorment variable for local synched SharePoint folder, this would be very fast and easy to do. If anyone has connection there, ask if there's an undocumented variable like the documented one named "OneDrive"

This is a rough draft of the steps and the contents of a two line autostart batch file for each user on each machine. I only tested the first part creating the shared drive letter.

When MS comes out with an environment variable (or we find out there already is one) this won’t be needed.

To create a persistent mapped virtual drive letter to use for File Center shared settings until MS comes out with enviorment variable for local synched SP like it has for local OD called OneDrive

For every machine, every user :

Determine the path of the FC library for a specific user on a specific pc:

Place a test file with a simple name like findspath.txt in the top folder at level with your shared File Center folders and settings folders

From a cmd window, search for the file. Right click on it to get the path. (Probably same as doing that from File Explorer without creating a file to search)

Go up to root, c:\

Dir findspath.txt /s

Right click on it

Copy that path

Paste the path in explorer

Then share, advanced the folder with a unique name for that specific user. Don’t put the machine name in the unique share name.

Eg.

Advanced give everyone all rights. Probably too loose, but someone else will have to test that.

In same file explorer address windown, type \\machinename eg. \\Benie6

It should show all of your shares.

You just care that it shows the drive letter you assigned to local SharePoint library. Make sure pointing to the create level of the folder structure.

Right click on the share and map Y or whatever letter you want all the users on all your machines to use That will be used for configuring “shared settings” in File Center

local_len_sharepoint

first do the shareout steps for each user

Lastly, write an autostart bat file unique to each windows named user of each machine:

net use y: /delete

net use y: (entire unc w machine name as well the local share name for that user)

I've asked the FileCenter people if they can test and clean this up so FC customers can use it.

Len Raphael
Oakland CA

Follow up: File Center has been working great with Office 365 SharePoint. One file lost when i moved it to another folder and had a probably unrelated file explorer crash. Otherwise works like a charm.

I have it set up for multi users but have not yet thoroughly tested the multi user functioning.

Most of the setup time was because I was one of their first to use SharePoint. By now, FC shoud have the install steps worked out. Compared to Efile Cabinet which I was frequently calling post installation, very few tech support emails to FC needed.

Return to Business Operations and Development