Working remotely - Microsoft Remote Desktop

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Wiles  
We rarely work from home. Usually, it's just to check e-mails or to do some light work before taking a shower in the morning. For this, we use GoToMyPC. It works good enough, but sometimes it lags or stalls out. We are also concerned about using this on a public wifi such as at a hotel.

Recently, one of our employees has expressed an interest in working from home 2 days a week. We want to accommodate this.

Our computer consultant is recommending we switch to using Microsoft's built-in Remote Desktop. He says the speed and security is better, even over public wifi. It comes with some upfront costs. He says we will need to upgrade our firewall and switch. We also need to configure all computers with new IP configuration from a "Class C" network to a "Class A". Not exactly sure what that means.

Anyhow, just wanted to get some thoughts and opinions from others. Thank you.
Last edited by Wiles on 7-May-2018 4:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andee  
MS Remote Desktop worked extremely well for me years, and multiple monitors are now supported. Ran TR CSA, UT, FA, FC with zero problems. If you run into local printing issues, I highly recommend ThinPrint. It was a lifesaver.

PDXCPA  
I use MS Windows Remote Desktop. Basically, no latency with 2 monitors. Most important, though, is making sure your host VPN is setup properly with strong security. I use Zywall routers to do this but there are many others. I have a Zywall router at home and in the office so I don’t need a VPN client on laptop when at home and to easily copy backups over to home file server nightly. I use Windows client VPN on my laptop to open the VPN tunnel to office when I’m not at home.

Return to Business Operations and Development