Thoughts UltraTax - Coming from ProSeries

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
nvea  
Hello Everyone,

I would like that thank you for welcoming me to the community.

I am contemplating making the switch from ProSeries to UltraTax. Aside from the cost differential and the learning curve I am would like to see that the user experience has been for those that have made the switch.

Thank you,

NV

makbo  
I did that switch. Used ProSeries in my small practice for 3-4 years, ran in parallel with UT for another two years (new clients went onto UT, but I continued my priors on ProSeries), then finally migrated all to UT.

Since I haven't used ProSeries for several years I can't speak to what has changed since then. I like UT diagnostics much better, and UT supports more forms including state forms (ProSeries didn't even support Form 8275, and it's a non-calculating form!). As a small firm I use PPR (pay per return) licensing and actually UT was about the same as PS on that basis, but with UT you are only billed semi-monthly during tax season instead of immediate payment for each return authorized. With UT you can send organizers for free. I like the integrated documents such as engagement letter, 7216 consent, which can be esigned.

There is a learning curve for any software, but I feel more productive with UT, less time spent figuring out where to enter something, or where a number on a form came from. Especially for entity returns.

I could go on but I'm sure others have comments so I'll stop here.

jdctax  
I'm also looking at switching. I'm considering UltraTax and Lacerte but having trouble getting any pricing on Lacerte. Their sales department doesn't seem to be that great.
the UltraTax SaaS option looks good if you are a single user and I've been offered a few free months to switch which would bring at least the first year price much closer to my ProSeries + ProConnect price (I've been preparing my returns with foreign activity in ProConnect and PPR).

nvea  
Thank you for the replies. I am still working with TR for ultra tax and the complete suite as I don't want to use numerous providers and it only makes sense to have it all software by one company. Aside from the expected learning curve the features are definitely superior to ProSeries, at least in my opinion. Downside is flat fee pricing for the first 3-4 years before it is reduced.

Also feel that the full suite becomes a little more economical when I start to factor in numerous salesforce licenses $900/yr/user.

Thank you again.

smtcpa  
I used UT for years, switched to Lacerte (supposedly the Cadillac version of ProSeries?) and thought UT was much, much, much better. I am glad to be back to UT again.

jdctax  
smtcpa, Just curious what you liked better about UltraTax over Lacerte? Was it anything in particular or just general ease of use? I did the demo of UltraTax today and was very impressed but I'm already familiar with Lacerte so I know the learning curve will be much easier. Of course if UltraTax is significantly better than it may be worth the time to learn it.

Return to Business Operations and Development