E-File Application for employees

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
kathyt  
I have a small office with two employees and myself. Currently I am the only one who is an authorized e-file provider. My daughter is one of the employees, and I'd like for her to become authorized to e-file in case anything should ever happen to me but I'm not sure how to fill out the application for her - when I did it many years ago I did it using my firm information (S-Corp). When my daughter fills out her application should she use my firm info as she is an employee of this firm? At some point she will become a shareholder but she is not right now.

Would she be a principal, responsible official or delegate?

I

sjrcpa  
The EFIN was probably issued to your S Corp. If so, and if your daughter is an employee of the S Corp, she can efile returns now with no further ado.

makbo  
It sounds like the goal is for the daughter to obtain her own EFIN. According to IRS web site, "The firm owns the EFIN. The firm uses either its Employer Identification Number or the sole proprietor’s Social Security Number, if it doesn’t have an EIN, to apply for an EFIN." So I don't think the firm can obtain a second EFIN in its own name for the same physical location?

You may already be aware that if your daughter becomes an EA, she can get her own EFIN strictly based on that, no fingerprints required. I did that years ago while still an employee (did not use my EFIN for filing), and still use the same EFIN today as a sole proprietor.

Check if your software requires additional license fees for use of a second EFIN.

Return to Business Operations and Development