When to get a POA

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Wondering if I should just get a POA on every client at the same time they drop off their documents/engagement letter going forward.

Had a client with a CP23 yesterday. Called the PPH and really didn't get very far since I only had third party designee. Honestly I think the agent spent more time telling me about how she could basically just take information from me than she did actually taking said information. It was ridiculous.

Do any of you just get a POA for your clients when you are just preparing their returns and if you do, for what time frame? Seems a bit overkill but since you can't always predict when a notice is coming, logistically, it seems easier just to get one when you are getting everything else from them.

makbo  
If you will search the forum, you will find many discussions with no consensus, if I recall correctly.

Do you think it makes more sense to spend time and effort filing 100+ POAs for 100 returns (MFJ return requires 2 POAs) when you might only use one, or to just wait and then file that one POA when you need it. So what if it takes a week after the IRS notice is received?

Depends on scope of work and if I know of any potential issues or may need to obtain missing information. As soon as I encounter or hear of an issue that is more effectively resolved by me obtaining POA, then I do so for all relevant matters and years.

Other clients, such as friggin' payroll, I have to obtain POA now even to submit wage reports for state unemployment. Didn't used to be the case. There is a reason I charge so much for payroll unless I also do all of the client's accounting; it is simply too big of a PITA.

Return to Business Operations and Development