Tax Software Choice? Leaving ProSeries

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I have used ProSeries since I started practicing. Especially after we moved from a single computer to a server install, it has been breaking non-stop or having major issues (not able to simultaneously be logged on multiple server logins, virtual machine logins running very slow, certain things displaying as huge and others being so small they are unreadable - the list goes on and on).

Intuit is of no help and do not seem inclined to fix the issues, so we're having to find another software. What do you all use? We are a multi-preparer firm - so this will be installed on our server.

ATSMAN  
There is another post here with very lively discussion about software choices, pros and cons etc.

I use Drake and for my setup is a very good value.

What were you paying for Proseries? I think your options in that general price range may be limited to Drake, ATX, Taxwise.

ATSMAN wrote:What were you paying for Proseries? I think your options in that general price range may be limited to Drake, ATX, Taxwise.

About $6,000/year - which gave me unlimited filings for 1040/1120S/1065 and a single state for corporate returns. Then if I had out of state corporate returns, trusts, etc. it was an extra fee.

I'm demoing Drake now and testing the Intuit ProConnect Tax earlier. I know it's just what you are used to, but everything just feels SO wrong working in them lol.

Frankly  
SJones45 wrote: Especially after we moved from a single computer to a server install, it has been breaking non-stop or having major issues ...

Ahh, yet another anecdote that the multi-user server version is junk.

Rumor has it that Intuit ProConnect is LaCerte adapted to the cloud, and that it's still not ready for prime time.

Another frequently heard anecdote - Drake has great customer service; they pick up on the first ring... downside is you need to call frequently.

I went out on my own this year and am using Drake with the "Pay per Return" package. I paid $300 in January and got 15 returns. Additional returns beyond 15 are $20 each until you reach 85 returns at which point you're converted to the "Unlimited" package. The price of the Pay per Return was hiked to $330 and $22 respectively for 2018 tax year which I'll buy in December.

Their Unlimited package is pretty compelling. It's $1,295 and includes indivdual, business, NPO, and all states. You get $150 off if you buy before July 31st.

The only thing I've found so far that I didn't like (beyond moderately irritating presentational e-file diagnostics) is that Drake can't prepare an 1120-F.

All around I think Drake's the best value out there. Tech support and HQ is just right up the road from me in NC and it's easy to submit an e-ticket through email or directly through the software. You can also call support during business hours.

I've used ProSystems/Axcess and GoSystems as well. I think end game I want to be in Axcess but it's way too expensive for me right now. I hated GoSystems. Absolutely. I could rant for an hour about that.

CathysTaxes  
I don't know about the server version, but I have been using Drake for three years now. I think I called tech support three times last year, only one real bug, the rest was for new tax options that I couldn't find.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

ATSMAN  
About $6,000/year - which gave me unlimited filings for 1040/1120S/1065 and a single state for corporate returns. Then if I had out of state corporate returns, trusts, etc. it was an extra fee.

If you end up getting Drake it will most likely cost you less than 1/3 of that!

Drake's user interface is completely different, so there will be a slight learning curve. When you are demoing, please use your actual cases and see if it meets your requirements. They have sample cases to test, but some of them are overly simplistic. If you need help during the evaluation period take advantage of calling them and help you. If you end up getting Drake there is a conversion program or they will help you convert your clients to Drake.

CathysTaxes wrote:I don't know about the server version, but I have been using Drake for three years now. I think I called tech support three times last year, only one real bug, the rest was for new tax options that I couldn't find.

Same, I called a couple of times when I was setting things up, but didn't have any problems while I was in there preparing and getting diagnostics cleared.

JR1  
I just love this from Frankly: Another frequently heard anecdote - Drake has great customer service; they pick up on the first ring... downside is you need to call frequently.

LOL

Yeah, Intuit doesn't make contact easy in ProSeries...
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

Frankly  
JR1 wrote:LOL

Yeah, lol lol lol.
Another internet rumor - P/S works and doesn't require a phone call to fix it.

It's always interesting to read the internet comments about tax software. Never is there any consensus. Every brand has its groupies and detractors. Pricing is all over the map, even the supposedly identical "package" within a brand. The learning curve is either horrendous, or slight. The new package will easily convert from any other brand, or it converts most of it, leaving the convertee to review every client line by line, especially the fixed asset schedule.

lol lol lol.

Frankly wrote:
JR1 wrote:LOL

Yeah, lol lol lol.
Another internet rumor - P/S works and doesn't require a phone call to fix it.

It's always interesting to read the internet comments about tax software. Never is there any consensus. Every brand has its groupies and detractors. Pricing is all over the map, even the supposedly identical "package" within a brand. The learning curve is either horrendous, or slight. The new package will easily convert from any other brand, or it converts most of it, leaving the convertee to review every client line by line, especially the fixed asset schedule.

lol lol lol.

Lot of truth to this. They are all bad and all good depending on who you as and the day you ask.

I’m often the same way about my own software of choice: UltraTax. I either love it or hate it.

makbo  
Not that different from buying a car. If one car is "the best", then why do the other brands even exist?

Some people even have multiple different cars for different purposes.

And the new-fangled electric cars are like the new-fangled cloud-only tax packages.

With all of the positive comments on Drake, I'm curious: how do you all find the interface? What was driving me crazy was that I feel like there is a screen to input things and then you have to move to another screen/make a very concerted effort to see how the inputs affect the actual return. ProConnect and Drake were similar in that. ProSeries, TaxAct Pro (which was terrible - it allowed me to make sure very basic errors and didn't even provide warnings in the diagnostics or anywhere), and UltimateTax all have a similar setup of a panel to select the forms and then to the right the actual form you're working on, which made toggling back and forth super easy.

Just curious if I'm using Drake wrong. And again, I know it's not better or worse. Just what I'm so used to so the other interface that the different ones feel very inefficient.

ATSMAN  
As I posted before that there is a learning curve with Drake because of the data entry screens. Perhaps this may help a little.

https://drakesoftware.com/SharedAssets/ ... erence.pdf

https://drakesoftware.com/SharedAssets/ ... 0Guide.pdf

Please print these two documents. Once you figure your way around, you can crank a run of the mill 1040 return in less than 15 minutes!

I have always used UltraTax. I am not fond of their pricing, but the software works with minimal headaches (except when you need 2014 or earlier; updating is a PITA and often requires Safe Mode), and their support team is reliable and they know what they are doing. I contemplated switching last year, and despite only 10% of my firm services being tax, I still viewed it as too large of headache to migrate to another system. Drake could not even convert a simple 1040 from UT. I only use UT and FC from Creative Solutions; I will never use their full suite of products, way overpriced and when I have demoed them, I did not think they provided sufficient benefit for the cost. I do not really care about the cost of PRP/filing fees; they're passed on to clients dollar-for-dollar, and I also build in a software recovery fee with each tax return based on number of returns filed.

ATSMAN  
Drake converts client files from the following tax prep software:

ATX™ — 1040, 1041, 1065, 1120, 1120S
Crosslink® — 1040
Lacerte® — 1040, 1041, 1065, 1120, 1120S
ProSeries® — 1040, 1041, 1065, 1120, 1120S
ProSystem FX® — 1040, 1065, 1120, 1120S
TaxAct® — 1040
TaxSlayer Pro® — 1040
TaxWise® — 1040, 1065, 1120, 1120S
TurboTax® — 1040 (files must be sent to Drake for conversion)
UltraTax® — 1040, 1041 (new for tax year 2016), 1065, 1120, 1120S

If you run into any conversion issues, call support!

I'm UT since the 2015 season, former Drake. I used CCH Prosystems (desktop version of Axcess) many moons ago.

It's great that you're trying different programs. That's how you will be best able to find the software package for your practice. Make sure that your other preparers test the software as well and give input on how they find it.

If your practice is a good fit for value tier software then Drake is probably your best bet. If value tier software isn't the right fit then there's UT, Lacerte, and Prosystems/Axcess. At least you have all summer.

My quick review:

Drake: kept flipping back and forth to see how an entry affected the return and if it went to where I thought it should.
State returns were clunky.

ProSeries: scroll, scroll, scroll, took a long time just to navigate to the right place. State prep heads and shoulders above Drake, particularly part-year residency.

ATX: love, love, love. Every form, every state, easy input, navigation, and e-file. And the price is right for my one man show. I dropped it in 2012 to try something else. but I'm back with ATX. Very elegant interface.

The price is right for Drake, but for a little bit more, you get (in my opinion) a bit more value, sophistication, and a professional looking return with ATX. And yes, I am aware of the problem ATX had in 2012.

klotzbach wrote:My quick review:

Drake: kept flipping back and forth to see how an entry affected the return and if it went to where I thought it should.
State returns were clunky.

ProSeries: scroll, scroll, scroll, took a long time just to navigate to the right place. State prep heads and shoulders above Drake, particularly part-year residency.

ATX: love, love, love. Every form, every state, easy input, navigation, and e-file. And the price is right for my one man show. I dropped it in 2012 to try something else. but I'm back with ATX. Very elegant interface.

The price is right for Drake, but for a little bit more, you get (in my opinion) a bit more value, sophistication, and a professional looking return with ATX. And yes, I am aware of the problem ATX had in 2012.

It seems the $549 PPR package only gives you federal and state for 1040s? You don't get business returns until you spend $1,649 for the "MAX" package?

MAX package, correct. Fed, all states, business, non-profit, trusts, and eFile. I negotiated $1,495 as a returning customer. If you are looking only at price Drake may be just the ticket. ATX is not perfect, but it's my preference for a small operation.

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development