WAN Support for Tax Softwares

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I had posted this thread recently asking for recommendations on tax softwares. After a lot of back and forth with ProSeries, they determined that the issue is that we are on a cloud server. While they have a server install, it is only for LAN.

Since I found that out I asked several software providers if they offer WAN support and most do not.

So I'm curious - how have multi-office firms coped with this through the years? The software companies that have an online version of their software are trying to push me towards that, but that's a fairly new phenomenon.

KRHCO  
I’ve used a hosting provider to host software.

KRHCO wrote:I’ve used a hosting provider to host software.

After your post I googled them. How are these different than a cloud server? Clearly they are if they work, just don't fully understand.

KRHCO  
I use thesagenext.com. They setup the workspace, manage the backups, etc.

For me was a matter of convenience more than anything else. I am a solo shop.

Cloud and hosted are often used interchangeably, but they are different.

Hosted is similar to a local install, except it is done on a remote server controlled by a third party. Typically, you use terminal services to connect and open the application(s). Remote Desktop is commonly used as the connection method.

Cloud is web-based software. Think NetSuite or Quickbooks Online. Even the Creative Solutions suite. Those are all true "cloud" solutions, which you access via a web browser and they are hosted, generally, by the actual software vendor via web servers.

Some local install applications do NOT play well with terminal services, virtualization, etc. Quickbooks is a prime example. Sure, technically it can be hosted and use terminal services, but stability is going to suffer.

The multi-office firms I am aware of either use true cloud solutions, or they connect to their remote servers over a VPN. A specific firm I am thinking of has a local office, but they use VPN to their headquarters' network located 2.5 hours away and/or use cloud software. Another firm I am aware of recently consolidated into a single office after the misery of running multiple LANs and redundant software licenses, with zero connectivity between offices.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:Cloud and hosted are often used interchangeably, but they are different.

Hosted is similar to a local install, except it is done on a remote server controlled by a third party. Typically, you use terminal services to connect and open the application(s). Remote Desktop is commonly used as the connection method.

Cloud is web-based software. Think NetSuite or Quickbooks Online. Even the Creative Solutions suite. Those are all true "cloud" solutions, which you access via a web browser and they are hosted, generally, by the actual software vendor via web servers.

Some local install applications do NOT play well with terminal services, virtualization, etc. Quickbooks is a prime example. Sure, technically it can be hosted and use terminal services, but stability is going to suffer.

The multi-office firms I am aware of either use true cloud solutions, or they connect to their remote servers over a VPN. A specific firm I am thinking of has a local office, but they use VPN to their headquarters' network located 2.5 hours away and/or use cloud software. Another firm I am aware of recently consolidated into a single office after the misery of running multiple LANs and redundant software licenses, with zero connectivity between offices.

THANK YOU! That is immensely helpful!

Return to Business Operations and Development