Billing question

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I have a client that recently changed over their PSA software. I've worked with several different time capture /project management packages, but this is a new one. They love it, and I am learning about and I think I will, too. The thing is, I could spend HOURS learning about all the features of this new platform. I think the more I know about it, the better off the client will be. All I really need is to grab time out of the system for payroll processing and invoicing. Like most things, it helps to know a little more about the package than just what I need to get out of it, especially if I can step in to help with whatever other tasks could be delegated to me. This is a really cool client, always pays (due on receipt, and I've never been paid late), business is successful and they fun to work with. The question is though, how much time can I ethically bill for this sort of work? I'm willing to eat a little time, but I don't want to eat it all. . .

dingus  
Honestly, I think you can ethically bill for it all. I would just have the conversation with the client ahead of time and let him know what you expect the cost to be. (Under promise and over deliver) Explain what you'll be doing and why. He sounds like the kind of client who would understand and see the value in it. He sounds like the 20% in the 80/20 rule, and those are the 20% that make you 80% of your profits as they aren't fee sensitive and actually see the value in what you bring. If you go over your estimate, sure, eat some time. But too many times in the past I've eaten time when I didn't have to. Now, I look for these types of clients, and turn down the ones that expect me to eat time as a regular matter of dealing with them.

My car is in the shop. The bill will be $1,700. The mechanic told me ahead of time what to expect, and although he's more expensive than the last guy I went to, he does a good job, delivers as and when promised. I am a good client for him. Plenty of people go to the cheaper guy, but I see the value in paying a bit more. The cheaper guy works extra hours at friends' shops to make ends meet. This guy never seems to be hurting.

Return to Business Operations and Development