Receiving Faxes from IRS

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I see on another board there is discussion of PPS asking if the agent has a physical fax machine. I have not been asked that since before the stricter procedures started in January. Has anyone been asked that sort of question? I have been asked if the fax is secure, but not, lately, if it is a physical fax machine. Do we need to be thinking about this issue? If we get a physical machine but use the electronic fax number on the Form 2848, I have to wonder if that would cause another problem.

Or is there no real problem in the first place?

pegatha  
I was working on an audit and I don't recall if that's specifically what the agent asked me before planning to fax me something, but I ended up (not realizing what she was getting at) explaining that we used an electronic fax system (thinking that made it a very secure thing!). Fortunately we do have a physical fax machine so I was able to track down the number for that to give to her (but it's more of a pain if I'm not in the office, have to have someone grab it and scan for me).

ETA: the timeline of above was last summer, so ~August 2017.

Apparently based on whatever security rules on the IRS's end, they can't knowingly fax to an e-fax system. I don't know what the consequences are of allowing them to unknowingly do so would be, though?...
Last edited by pegatha on 3-Jul-2018 2:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

I've been faxed sensitive documents (obviously, if they're coming from IRS). The agent did not ask if I was using a landline or internet fax, but she did ask if I was willing to accept the risk of a fax being intercepted instead of having the information mailed. I trust my fax system (internet based) a lot more than the USPS, so I naturally say yes.

Return to Business Operations and Development