U.S. Dept Commerce 2017 Annual Business Survey

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Bob A  
Have you received your letter in the mail? "Your Response Is required By Law"
Is it?
Sign in OR register ...... I usually don't respond to letters, inquiries.
Apparently it takes 52 minutes to complete the survey ..........

When the census tells you that your response is required by law, it's required by law. Google says that penalties are up to $5,000 for failure to report, and $10,000 for intentionally providing false information.

The census forms get a lot more invasive than this, trust me.

Gjkycpa  
Respond to the Census and get them out your hair. They will wear you out with continual requests. Be vauge when possible, but accurate and file as quick as you can and omit details when possible. This is my strategy.

Bob A  
thanks

Frankly  
Gjkycpa wrote: Be vauge when possible, but accurate and file as quick as you can and omit details when possible.
Why be vague?

Frankly wrote:
Gjkycpa wrote: Be vauge when possible, but accurate and file as quick as you can and omit details when possible.
Why be vague?

I'm in Gjkycpa's camp. Most information they ask for can be aggregated into potentially useful statistical information. That information I have no problem providing. One of the surveys I've had to do this year asked for ownership percentages and names of owner(s) of the business. That's simply nonsense. I really don't care how many promises they make about the confidentiality of that information... there's just nothing good that can come of it.

Also, most surveys have an open comments area. It should be left blank in all but the most unique of circumstances. I think the only thing I ever put in there is the time spent on the survey if it is higher than their estimated amount.

Return to Business Operations and Development