Where to Start CPA Exam

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
HGCO  
I'm giving thought to taking CPA exam. Already passed both EA and CFP. Took CPA exam many years ago with poor result. I'm wondering which test module would be a recommended first section should I decide on taking exam, still very undecided. I envision a year long (at minimum)endeavor should I decide to go further, and weighing the overall toll. Recommendations on self study material would be also appreciated. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

I did it in four months, passed all four first attempt. I used Roger CPA Review and thought it was a VERY good program and he keeps your attention since he is very enthusiastic (and surprisingly humorous). I know a lot praise Becker, Gleim, etc., but I just did not like their courses and I actually thought Becker was a joke when I compared the material side-by-side with Roger (my sister used Becker, as did my dad).

I used Gleim's books and I turned out all right. Any accurate study material will help you. Becker was way too expensive for my taste, and I personally didn't need instructor-led courses (but some people found it very helpful).

As for strategy for module order, well, if you're going to pass all of the exams it doesn't matter. If there's a section that you're going to have trouble with, just make sure you give yourself enough time to study for it. When I took the exam 10 years ago, you had to pass all four sections in a rolling 18 month period so you couldn't just drag out the exam -- I don't know if that's changed since.

missingdonut wrote:When I took the exam 10 years ago, you had to pass all four sections in a rolling 18 month period so you couldn't just drag out the exam -- I don't know if that's changed since.

Still 18 months to pass all four and same rule that if you fail a section, that same section cannot be taken again in same testing period. I cannot recall the exact order I did them (think FAR --> REG --> AUD --> BEC), but I know it was based on the suggestions of Roger CPA in case I failed the exam that covered the most material (FAR). I thought each of the exams was about equally difficult but FAR and REG have a much broader scope of topic coverage. Some say BEC is easiest; I disagree since it also gets into economics (which I have always done well at, but that is not the case for everyone).

I bought the study material for all four sections at once. There were times I was actually overlapping studying for different exams simultaneously since I needed to get it all done so quickly.

Joan TB  
As a side note, I notice that OP mentions the CPA exam was first taken "many many years ago". Even if you pass the exam, will you still meet the other requirements for the CPA license in your state? Many states have adopted the 150-hour requirement, and I don't know if that pre-dates your education or not. However, it would be disappointing to pass the exam and then find out another year of college is required. Also, another consideration is where you will get your experience requirement that most states also have.

HGCO  
Joan TB wrote:As a side note, I notice that OP mentions the CPA exam was first taken "many many years ago". Even if you pass the exam, will you still meet the other requirements for the CPA license in your state? Many states have adopted the 150-hour requirement, and I don't know if that pre-dates your education or not. However, it would be disappointing to pass the exam and then find out another year of college is required. Also, another consideration is where you will get your experience requirement that most states also have.

Thanks much for comments. Yes, checked with state. No issues with a retake. Took Becker at time that I took exam. I have been hearing good things about Surgent and may it a closer look.

I used Becker about 5 years ago. I had been out of college for 4 years at that time, and I knew I had forgotten most of it. I originally tried the Gleim books only, and I struggled with that. Decided to splurge with Becker since they assume you've forgotten everything. I can't praise Becker enough. They do offer a no interest payment plan.

It took me a year, along with working full time and getting my Masters all at the same time.

For someone just out of college who did really well in their classes I'd say grab a Gleim book and have at it, but if you're struggling then I would at least check out Becker.

In thinking of which one to start with, how about considering what would give you the most motivation? If you passed the part you struggle the most with first, would that give you a confidence about passing the others? OTOH, what if you passed the part you felt would be easiest? Would that give you the mental boost to tackle the remaining parts?

I passed the exam 17 years ago using what was Conviser Duffey then. It has since merged with Becker. I liked the in class time as well as the materials you received to study on your own. I spent a lot of time taking practice exams with the software and took the flash cards with me everywhere, even had them in the car with me when I drove to take the exam.

FAR...Audit...REG (hurry)...and BEC

j3cpa  
I'd start with REG first to bang it out before the new exam changes. then FAR AUD/BEC last.

I used Becker two or three years ago. I really liked it, but I think regardless of what study program you use, the determining factor is your motivation and time put in.

I did BEC > REG > AUD > FAR

Passed all the first time. Did BEC first because it was easy to build positive momentum with that and ride it forward. Twelve months from beginning to end.

mbg11  
ManVsTax wrote:I used Becker two or three years ago. I really liked it, but I think regardless of what study program you use, the determining factor is your motivation and time put in.

This is honestly what I've gathered from all the ones I've researched. Becker, Wiley, Sturgent, Roger, and Gleim, all are good, but in the end it depends entirely on you sitting down and sucking it up and studying.

I'm choosing becker. I realize it's expensive. But I'm just gonna go a section at a time.

I have so much work as a staff accountant at a firm that I only have a limited time to study. Kudo's to everyone who is able to get it done in a few months. I just don't think I can do that with my job. Besides, 50% off coupon means each part is like $500. which is manageable on my current budget.

Sounds logical. Like I said, I did my exams in a few months span from late August to early December. I was still in school full time finishing my Masters, while also working full time. In the middle of this, we were hit by a hurricane which caused me to have to delay one exam and thus study for two exams simultaneously (and take them two weeks apart) in order to meet my self-imposed deadline. It IS doable, but I was a miserable person to be around during that period. I had no life, and was studying whenever I was not working, eating, or sleeping. Sleep suffered severely, often having study sessions lasting until 3-5am to cram the study and exams into such a short period of time.

It IS stunning how quickly the details of what you study exit your brain. Sometimes it simply does not come back to you as quickly as you would think upon researching the subject, again, with real world work.

Return to Business Operations and Development