Enrolled Agent Continuing Education

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Just looking for some recommendations. Where is a good place to take continuing education online? I have used a couple and they were not outstanding.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Jeff

makbo  
IRS itself usually offers 3-6 hours per year of free webinars. Sign up on the mailing list for notifications (I don't have the link handy but it's somewhere on the IRS web site). Quality varies, but the price is right.

I generally prefer instructor led training for the ability to ask questions, most instructors will also respond to emails even after the class is over.

I don't like most webinars, it's too hard to save the details for future reference. So the third category is self-study, where you get a textbook (PDF) and then take a short exam. For this, there are many sources (you don't say which ones you didn't like). TheTaxBook has a library of courses that are not too expensive. Spidell in California has a number of courses. Then there are firms like CCH which offer higher level courses covering more topics, but much higher priced.

HGCO  
Have you looked at Cpaacademy.org ?

smtcpa  
I hope it's ok to post this, but it's my site I am creating. It's a resource for all. https://thecpemarketplace.com.

CPAAcademy has some useful courses, though just be aware that most of them are sponsored by entities that want to sell you something. Their information is solid, but at the end (and after), you will definitely be contacted by the sponsor.

GlobalCPE is decent, though they recently annoyed me and I will not be renewing. They report automatically to IRS based on your PTIN.

My favorite for self-study is MasterCPE. The courses are high quality.

CathysTaxes  
smtcpa wrote:I hope it's ok to post this, but it's my site I am creating. It's a resource for all. https://thecpemarketplace.com.

Great site!
Cathy
CathysTaxes

makbo  
CathysTaxes wrote:
smtcpa wrote:I hope it's ok to post this, but it's my site I am creating. It's a resource for all. https://thecpemarketplace.com.

Great site!

This is a referral site? Just want to confirm you are not offering your own original CE material. What is your mix of webinars, instructor-led, and self-study?

I see four states listed, not all of which have an inventory of CE courses shown as available?

• Colorado, Illinois, New York, Oklahoma
You probably should add California, which is about 11% of the entire country.

When the whole IRS RTRP program collapsed due to a court ruling, an incipient CE industry met a collapse. What a shame, we could use more mandated, quality CE for tax professionals. :cry:

HGCO  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:CPAAcademy has some useful courses, though just be aware that most of them are sponsored by entities that want to sell you something. Their information is solid, but at the end (and after), you will definitely be contacted by the sponsor.

GlobalCPE is decent, though they recently annoyed me and I will not be renewing. They report automatically to IRS based on your PTIN.

My favorite for self-study is MasterCPE. The courses are high quality.

RE: cpaacademy, occasionally you are contacted by the presenter, but not all of time. The courses are free.

HGCO wrote:
RE: cpaacademy, occasionally you are contacted by the presenter, but not all of time. The courses are free.

I am added to nearly all of the presenters' contact lists and later have to opt out. Only reason I tolerate it is because a BULK of the courses are free and are decent quality...there are some that do cost money, but it is a small fraction of other CPE offerings. Despite not being a fan of being added to contact lists, I do like and routinely use CPAAcademy.

smtcpa  
This is a referral site, none of the courses are provided by me. The idea is to bring all of the best CPE under one website to help people find CPE, review it and help others choose CPE they know is of decent quality. I'll be adding more states and CPE as soon as possible. Thanks for the suggestion about CA.

makbo wrote:This is a referral site? Just want to confirm you are not offering your own original CE material. What is your mix of webinars, instructor-led, and self-study?

I see four states listed, not all of which have an inventory of CE courses shown as available?

• Colorado, Illinois, New York, Oklahoma
You probably should add California, which is about 11% of the entire country.

When the whole IRS RTRP program collapsed due to a court ruling, an incipient CE industry met a collapse. What a shame, we could use more mandated, quality CE for tax professionals. :cry:

Return to Business Operations and Development