Executive style sit stand desks

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Wiles  
We are considering purchasing new furniture for our office. There is buzz out there that sit-stand desks are the way to go. I am not sold on it, but trying to be open-minded.

All the sit-stand desk we look at it would be fine if we were also not using them to meet with clients. They look more like a table top with legs that raise. They are open underneath and have no drawers. They just do not look professional, at all.

We are not finding any executive-style-looking desks that are also sit-stand. Preferably L-shaped. Anybody out there have such a thing? Any suggestions?

sjrcpa  
2 people in my office have add ons to traditional desks that raise for standing or lower for sitting.

Wiles  
Thanks for the reply. Are these table top add-ons? Or are they complete separate units that complete the L of their desk?

Can you please share the brand & model?

KRHCO  
Check out IKEA. They have inexpensive desks that can be raised and lowered. Both manual and motorized versions.

sjrcpa  
I guess you'd call them table top add ons. I'll try to find out brand and model.

Wiles  
Yes. I did see that discussion. Just trying to find an alternative so that the desk and office space still looks professional.

makbo  
I've seen TV ads for desk top add-ons, but haven't used one. They look like they do the job, but probably still won't meet your definition of "professional".

Maybe you are making bad assumptions about what your clients will think is "professional". What is going to appeal more in the 21st century, an old oak rolltop, or this?

What you really need, is a glass-walled observation deck above the office floor, with a traditional executive desk, where you and the clients can observe the staff at work at their utilitarian stand-sit-workstations, while you sip your PBR together. :geek:

I have the Pro Plus 36 from VariDesk:

https://www.varidesk.com/

I like it. Sometimes I get restless so it's comforting to be able to stand up and move around a little bit while working.

Might be expensive if you have to supply the whole office...

Wiles  
Came across this recently. http://www.martinfurniture.com/products ... wn-hickory. This is kind of what I was looking for.

I also found a guy in town that can take any desk and make it a stand up desk. Getting kind of pricey though.

Preppie  
I had a varidesk add-on at my day job before I quit to work full time for myself. I liked it because it's good to be able to change work positions throughout the day.

The biggest drawback was cord management. While the monitors moved up and down, the desktop unit did not. This meant the cords had to be long enough to move all the way up when the monitors went up, but also secure enough that they didn't get pinched off when the varidesk came back down. Lots of tie wraps and Velcro straps.

novacpa  
makbo wrote:I've seen TV ads for desk top add-ons, but haven't used one. They look like they do the job, but probably still won't meet your definition of "professional".

Maybe you are making bad assumptions about what your clients will think is "professional". What is going to appeal more in the 21st century, an old oak rolltop, or this?

What you really need, is a glass-walled observation deck above the office floor, with a traditional executive desk, where you and the clients can observe the staff at work at their utilitarian stand-sit-workstations, while you sip your PBR together. :geek:

Hahaha - you gotta ask what is Makbo smoking in District 13?

Try www.fully.com .
I bought an electric stand/ sit desk from them earlier this year and I’m very satisfied with it.

Wiles  
Thank you for the link. But I am looking for something that would also be appropriate as a professional-looking desk for when I meet with clients.

Wiles

Sorry. I just read your original request more closely. The only thing that would satisfy your desk criteria would be a custom conversion of an existing executive desk into stand/sit one. You need to find someone reasonably priced in the bay area who provides a service exactly like this Arizona company here - https://www.multitable.com/standing-desk-conversions/

Or, alternatively, you can just use a traditional exec desk for client meetings and park the Spartan stand desk next to it as a workstation.

Good luck.

Dave

JAD  
I absolutely love mine. Cord management became easy by the addition of a slab behind the legs, before the cords.

makbo  
This desk is getting some press at the current CES show. You can just wave your hands in the air to make things happen on-screen. And the price certainly seems fancy enough.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... n-ces-2019

However, if standing, I know I want my monitors at eye level, not where I have to look down on them. I still don't understand why the requirement (Wiles) for having drawers. I really don't think clients judge professionalism by presence or lack of drawers in a worker's desk, but without some kind of scientific study, I guess we'll never know.

jon  
Local news this week-end says that sitting at your desk is like what "smoking at your desk" was 40+ years ago, for your health.

Wiles  
makbo wrote:I still don't understand why the requirement (Wiles) for having drawers. I really don't think clients judge professionalism by presence or lack of drawers in a worker's desk, but without some kind of scientific study, I guess we'll never know.

The drawers are for storage of important items like my stapler, 10-key paper refill, Jameson and breath mints . Not for the client. They don't see them. And that's the point. I don't want them to see them nor see me slip my shoes off during the appointment.

jon wrote:Local news this week-end says that sitting at your desk is like what "smoking at your desk" was 40+ years ago, for your health.

Yep! Also heard the same thing about standing at your desk. This question will soon rise to the level of back-and-forth uncertainty as coffee, red wine, dark chocolate & eggs.

Return to Business Operations and Development