CPE for publishing articles - good idea?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
chris  
I saw this section in the AICPA guidelines for CPE:

Standard No. 16. Writers of published articles, books, or CPE programs may receive CPE credit for their research and writing time to the extent it maintains or improves their professional competence.

S16 – 01. Requirement for review from independent party. Writing articles, books, or CPE programs for publication is a structured activity that involves a process of learning. For the writer to receive CPE credit, the article, book, or CPE program must be formally reviewed by an independent party. CPE credits should be claimed only upon publication.

Anyone here ever do this, or know who the 'independent parties' are that review? I'd like to use our site here as a potential vehicle for folks to blog/write articles - and if they can achieve CPE through doing it that might be helpful...or maybe I'm being naive (?)
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

(e) Authoring a Publication. CPE credit for published articles and books shall be given based on the number of contact hours the CPA spent writing the article or book. No more than 25 percent [Ck's note: Not 25 hours] of a CPA’s required CPE credits for a year shall be credits for published articles or books. An article written for a CPA’s client or business letter shall not receive CPE credit.

Here's the NC statute on it. I've done it a handful of times. Most recently, it was with that masterpiece on Gold that I penned for the Journal of Taxation...

chris  
You weren't kidding - that looks like a great article but I don't have that journal and will need to check into the local college library to see if I can find it.

I'm assuming the main motivation in publishing in a journal like that is not for CPE credit (?)
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

Send me an email and I'll send you a copy...

For enrolled agent CPE it would be as easy as signing up for a CPE sponsor number. The problem is that you have to report the hours through the IRS' portal (this only applies to EAs, what I'm saying here) if you want them to show up on a practicioner's PTIN record.

here is the IRS portal if you want to sign up to become a CPE provider, it costs about 400 bucks, but anyone who is enrolled can do it:

https://ssl.kinsail.com/secure/director ... n+below%2E

I just renewed my PTIN last night and looked up my hours, they are there on the dashboard for 2013 and 2014. I have 24 hours of CPE in 2013 and 18 for this year, including ethics, so I've met my minimum and I can breathe easy. Once again, I'm going to recommend Sequoia CPE because I did all my CPE for 99.00 including ethics which is almost always a separate "add-on". I'm planning to take a live refresher course in January 2015 this year because of the ACA stuff, but for 2014 I'm done.

makbo  
Tax_Writer wrote:I just renewed my PTIN last night and looked up my hours, they are there on the dashboard for 2013 and 2014. I have 24 hours of CPE in 2013 and 18 for this year, including ethics, so I've met my minimum and I can breathe easy. Once again, I'm going to recommend Sequoia CPE because I did all my CPE for 99.00 including ethics which is almost always a separate "add-on".

Since the PTIN database was created for the now defunct RTRP program, I took the time to call OPR about it, and in a conversation with a live person, was told in reply to my question that the PTIN CE database (the IRS does not call it CPE) would be used for compliance checks on EA renewals, but not I suppose until at least 3 years of history is available. This could be an issue if your CE provider is not reliably getting the info into the database.

As for ethics, each of the last several years, IRS itself has provided a free 2-hour ethics webinar featuring Karen Hawkins on Circ 230 items. Hard to beat that for meeting the EA ethics requirement. I learn more about actual ethics from forums like this one, where the tire engages the turnpike, so to speak.

Frankly  
makbo wrote:As for ethics, each of the last several years, IRS itself has provided a free 2-hour ethics webinar featuring Karen Hawkins on Circ 230 items. Hard to beat that for meeting the EA ethics requirement.

Scheduled for the 29th of this month:
http://www.visualwebcaster.com/IRS/9976 ... p?id=99764

Return to Business Operations and Development