Retail store front

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Hello All,

I am thinking of expanding to a retail location. I am trying to be close as possible to a busy road and have the biggest possible sign out front.

I guess this is question for the retail store front preparers: Does the mere presence in an accessible retail location drive any business in your direction. I know client referrals are a big source for everyone. But does a decent client ever just walk in and say that they saw the sign out front and want to discuss their taxes?

Office space is cheaper than retail space around here. Does it make sense to rent the retail space to compete with the big chains? Or am I better off renting modest office space and spending the delta on some sort of marketing like direct mail?

ATSMAN  
>> But does a decent client ever just walk in and say that they saw the sign out front and want to discuss their taxes?

In most cases they are shopping for prices or biggest refund possible.

Unless you have the marketing budget of HRB, JH for brand name recognition paying for the biggest sign may not help you unless you are the only game in the vicinity IMHO!

Depends on the quality of client you are looking for. I think most "quality clients" find their tax preparers through referrals or detailed searches/research, not a storefront. Storefront clients are more likely to be price shopping, poorer quality and thus more difficult to work with, and likely to also be thinking of H&R Block, Liberty Tax, etc. Definitely not what I'm looking for, but works for others.

In 2012, I worked for a CPA firm and we thought we might benefit a lot by moving into a bank building, where our door was to the left of the entrance while the bank's doors were directly across the hall. A lot of foot traffic because of the bank, and people seeing our name plastered at the entrance and street signs. I think we obtained one client as a result of foot traffic, and he was an absolute nightmare--almost had to get a police order against him.

ATSMAN  
Excellent points. OP just think for a moment. If you wanted legal advice would you stop by the law firm that had the biggest board in a retail lot? As others have pointed it depends on the type of clientele you want. If your goal is to primarily deal with taxpayers who go to Liberty tax etc. then yes you will need to build your board bigger than theirs :lol:

ATSMAN wrote:Excellent points. OP just think for a moment. If you wanted legal advice would you stop by the law firm that had the biggest board in a retail lot? As others have pointed it depends on the type of clientele you want. If your goal is to primarily deal with taxpayers who go to Liberty tax etc. then yes you will need to build your board bigger than theirs :lol:

Couldn't help but think of Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad... :lol:

Years ago I had a store front with a large sign. Across the way was a strip club. My walk-ins were Ladies who needed returns to lease a car or rent an apartment. Usually did 2-3 years at a time to catch up and got paid in cash. Great clients, no; but fun.

michaelmars wrote:Years ago I had a store front with a large sign. Across the way was a strip club. My walk-ins were Ladies who needed returns to lease a car or rent an apartment. .

What did they list as occupation? :lol:

A client of mine used to sell sex toys, kinda like the old Tupperware parties as far as format. That was interesting.

entertainer was the occupation, all sch C income.

ATSMAN  
Great clients, no; but fun.

Care to elaborate on the "fun" ? :P :P :P

NOPE

Return to Business Operations and Development