CGMA certification

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Natalie  
Aloha All! It's so nice to see so many names from the TaxAlmanac site! I recently received a solicitation from the AICPA about the CGMA designation. Until the end of the year, CPAs who indicate they have the required experience will be given this designation without having to take any tests. After the end of the year, testing will start.

For those of you who do more than tax prep, I'm wondering if you're considering this designation, and if not, why not.

I'm not considering it at all. The biggest reason is that the CPA designation is so incredibly powerful that it basically stands alone (unless I were to get the CFA), no offense to EAs. The other major problem is that I'd have to remain an AICPA member, which I don't plan on doing when my renewal comes due.

Frankly, I don't expect the AICPA's marketing efforts to resonate in the public consciousness with this designation.

Really, the only thing my business cards need to say is Missing Donut, CPA. For better or worse, the CPA part implies that I would inherently be a CGMA in the way I would inherently be a tax expert. To a large degree, public perception is more important in this regard than actual ability.

(My background, as it might be relevant: CPA who left public accounting for a full-time position in the private sector, where I spend more time on the cost/management side than the financial and tax side combined. I'm also in the start-up stages of my own firm to moonlight.)

Natalie  
Thank you, missingdonut. I found out that if one doesn't continue to pay the special section dues, the designation goes away. It seems like it's just a revenue maker for the AICPA and that it's a for-purchase designation. I won't be pursuing it. (But for those of you who know me, I am studying to be a CFE.)

Return to Business Operations and Development