Request for Copy of Tax Return by Third Party. Scam?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
irc162  
Account Deactivated
I received an email from someone claiming to the admin assist for my client's financial advisor. The want a copy of the client's 2017 returns. Attached was a signed authorization that is actually more or less in compliance with Rev Proc 2008-35----except that my name is misspelled and the firm address is wrong (wrong street, wrong city, wrong state). The client has not mentioned to me that they wanted me to forward copies of the returns. In addition, in 2017, she was working with a different financial advisor. Since there was a whole lot about this that made me uncomfortable, I didn't respond. Instead, I left a message for the client asking her to confirm that she wants the copies sent and if so, telling her that she will need to sign a corrected authorization.

Maybe this is legit or maybe not. Is this some new kind of scam making the rounds?

With or without proper authorization, I am getting to the point where I would rather send returns to the taxpayer and let them take the responsbility for forwarding the returns on to third parties.

ATSMAN  
I have received requests from mortgage brokers for my client's tax returns. One time my client's ex-wife requested a copy of her ex husbands tax return through a para legal. When in doubt I call my client and inform them that unless they personally sign the authorization in my presence I am not sending any tax return copy. They can come to my office and pickup a copy.

I recommend just calling your client directly.

I also tell my clients no Yelp reviews. I dont want any of my client names linked to my firm and I dont want my firm linked to any of my clients outside of performing work for them.

Is there anything public that would tip off a potential scammer that your client uses your services?

ATSMAN  
>> Is there anything public that would tip off a potential scammer that your client uses your services?

Yup. Some people brag on social media on how they loved you and it is just a matter of google search to get your address and email. Remember IRS publishes your contact data!

HowardS  
Whenever I get a request like this I just send my client a soft copy of his/her return. They can do whatever they want with it at that point.
Retired, no salvage value.

irc162  
Account Deactivated
HowardS wrote:Whenever I get a request like this I just send my client a soft copy of his/her return. They can do whatever they want with it at that point.

I am with you on that one.

As to this event, it's a hard sell but not entirely a scam.

I heard from the client, and here is what seems to have happened. The ciient is elderly. She apparently went to one of these financial planning seminars for seniors (the kind where they give you lunch). As I understand it, she apparently filled out a questionnaire on which she was asked for the name of her tax advisor. She entered my name. My guess is that they looked up the name on the internet. I have a common name and there is another CPA with a similar name in the client's home state (I live and work in a diferent state). I guess they assumed that the other CPA was my client's advisor and entered that name and address on the authorization form.

At some point, my client was contacted and offered a private follow up consultation by the advisor. My client is a bit embarrassed about this, so her info is hazy. I gather that she went for a consultation and they asked her to sign some forms before she could receive her "free portfolio analysis". The authorization form was probably one of those forms. Something else may have been offered (like a chance to win a trip) but the client is not entirely forthcoming about this.

Since the client is not moving forward with the advisor (maybe because she didn't win the trip?) she does not want to provide the advisor with her tax data. She says she will contact the advisor to let them know that she has decided to retain her current financial advisor.

For the most part, this client is sharp and fully able to manage her financial affairs. But I think my client enjoyed the attention she was getting and probably didn't make much of an effort to tell the advisor that she wasn't interested. At least they weren't selling timeshares and no funds got transferred.

ATSMAN  
I have been warning my family and friends about those Free Senior Financial/Estate Planning seminars that come with a free meal. I attended one just to see what they say and basically once they catch an interested person that has specific questions they immediately ask them to fill out a questionnaire and they gather all the data they need to go to the next step to get copies of statements etc. This is the part most seniors miss. Since they have not asked for a penny in fees at this point they figure it wont cost them to get some free advice.

Couple of years back one of my client's ex-wife went to one of these free seminars and the fellow convinced her to liquidate her entire share of IRA and pension that she received as a divorce settlement, without telling her about the penalties/deferred sales charges etc. Poor lady got stuck with a tax bill that she could not pay and had to go on an installment agreement.

Beware of these free financial/estate planning seminars :x

Return to Business Operations and Development