ideas to increase efficiency

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Regardless of whether you use TTC or not:

short tutorial on Acrobat Bookmarks: https://www.evermap.com/Tutorial_ABM_101.asp

Most useful tips in it:

To change the page to which an existing bookmark points: select the page you want to point to, then highlight the bookmark, right click, set destination.

To use a bookmark to open an external file such as Word or Excel doc
Create a new bookmark from the bookmark panel icon
Right click, select properties, Action, Open a file, Add, Ok

You can open webpages etc
You can open up specific pages in other pdfs

To make sub bookmarks you can drag it under the one you want to be parent
But you can also right click and cut the one or ones you want to move, then go to the parent, right click and Paste under Selected Bookmark

You can move bookmarks the same two ways.

Finding the TTC bookmarking frustrating for longer documents, such as organizers. They're not being bookmarked in the same order they are viewed and have the bookmarks set. Upon repaginating, they are becoming completely out of order.

Corner, this might be what the TTC tech warned me about: that you have to use the TTC tools to modify or repagination breaks. They're pretty fast on tech support emails. Please post what they tell you.

lenraphael wrote:Corner, this might be what the TTC tech warned me about: that you have to use the TTC tools to modify or repagination breaks. They're pretty fast on tech support emails. Please post what they tell you.

That's the problem, I AM using the TTC tools for it. I'll shoot them an e-mail and see what they say. Basically useless if a 30-50 page organizer is out of order based on however their software bookmarks.

btw, there is a handy "ruler" icon in TTC which you can stretch and thin out. Useful for viewing pdfs on large monitors to line when eyes get tired. Oddly in centimeters.

zl28  
i'm finding accepting credit cards thru quickbooks online is saving nice time. sure i don't love to pay the fee...but if i'm paying $15 on a $500 fee...and i don't have to go to bank or send someone to bank, or do the bookkeeping work (as qbo does it for you when you use their credit card)...turns out not to be such a bad deal. if a bill is like 3k, then i dont' want to pay 3% on that, so i'll not offer option for pymnt by cr cd there. Also, people are paying way, way more promply when i send over quickbooks online bill with option to pay by card with the 8879.

has anyone messed with using the TTC "customize template" web tool?

smtcpa  
Yes, we have our templates customized a bit. Works well if you follow their instructions.

lenraphael wrote:has anyone messed with using the TTC "customize template" web tool?

I created a custom template without much hassle, but still dealing with bookmark issues with TTC that they cannot seem to figure out. I am supposed to have a remote session with them so they can figure out why my pages are ending up out of order and bookmarks are not in order after bookmarking/repagination. Very frustrating when 140+ pages of documents end up in reverse or some random order, even after removing all bookmarks applied by TTC.

zl28 wrote:i'm finding accepting credit cards thru quickbooks online is saving nice time. sure i don't love to pay the fee...but if i'm paying $15 on a $500 fee...and i don't have to go to bank or send someone to bank, or do the bookkeeping work (as qbo does it for you when you use their credit card)...turns out not to be such a bad deal. if a bill is like 3k, then i dont' want to pay 3% on that, so i'll not offer option for pymnt by cr cd there. Also, people are paying way, way more promply when i send over quickbooks online bill with option to pay by card with the 8879.

I'll gladly pay 3% on any fee if it means being paid sooner and/or not having to mess with depositing a check...$90 on $3k is pretty insignificant. And while my bank is literally across the street, I still waste 15 minutes to do a single deposit when the rare check arrives--virtually every payment I receive is electronic.

There isn't a way to automate it based on payment type, but it is now allowable to charge a reasonable merchant processing fee for ones you know will pay via credit card. The $1 or $1.50 fee for eCheck payments is still one of the lowest I have come across, given the simplicity of it all. I do add a 3% fee when it is a reimbursement being paid by credit card, but not for service fees.

And agree, I send the invoice at same time as forms they need to sign to suggest I will not file without being paid. I basically never have to wait more than a day or two for payment.

smtcpa  
I started accepting payments via QBO this year and I absolutely love it. The time savings are great, the convenience for the client is great and I find that people question fees less and pay MUCH quicker. Now that their ACH option is next-day costing only 1%, that makes it even better.

zl28 wrote:i'm finding accepting credit cards thru quickbooks online is saving nice time. sure i don't love to pay the fee...but if i'm paying $15 on a $500 fee...and i don't have to go to bank or send someone to bank, or do the bookkeeping work (as qbo does it for you when you use their credit card)...turns out not to be such a bad deal. if a bill is like 3k, then i dont' want to pay 3% on that, so i'll not offer option for pymnt by cr cd there. Also, people are paying way, way more promply when i send over quickbooks online bill with option to pay by card with the 8879.

makbo  
smtcpa wrote:I started accepting payments via QBO this year and I absolutely love it. The time savings are great, the convenience for the client is great and I find that people question fees less and pay MUCH quicker. Now that their ACH option is next-day costing only 1%, that makes it even better.

I use Quickbooks (Intuit Payments) to collect most of my fees, but it only costs me $1.00 per payment received (used to be $0.50). I don't get the money next day, but I get it within 2-4 business days, often sooner, and only once or twice in many years has a payment ever been reversed.

I don't efile (or print mailable) returns until I get paid, so that has something to do with my great collection rate. 8-)

ATSMAN  
This year I am really fed up with clients who "dribble" their information over months and then expect their return to be completed pronto. So next year with clients who typically e-mail or drop-off their documents, I will have a checklist and the clock starts running after I have received all necessary documents. No more of this "start with what I gave you and we will fill in the rest later". I am losing valuable productive time with these people.

I have one family that gave me 50% of their info in early Feb and now I am pulling teeth getting the rest :evil:

zl28  
i'm enjoying using Alexa.....i have so many little things to do...it's nice to just say it to Alexa.

I tell the machine to "remind me at 2pm to call back Bob" and the machine will

a. send me a reminder on my cell phone
b. says this out loud.

Nice not to have to type everything

Willl try that. Have one in my office I only use for music and reminding me to stand up and stretch

zl28  
they also have a list feature

ex

alexa

add to the tax list

they say

prepare bob's w2

zl28  
If you are a person with lots of 'to do' items...check out Voice Reminder X app

Instead of typing your to do item, click the app button and your to do item is recorded,

then a reminder pops up on the iphone for whatever time you want to be reminded.

Way quicker!

zl28  
can we post products on here?

i thought that this is appealing to a cpa possibly

https://www.mobilepixels.us/pages/duex_pro_product_page

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-e1659Fwu-136 ... 1575561149

Much more cost effective portable monitor. Used these at BKD and immediately implemented them when I started my firm.

zl28  
i like those also, but i find they dont' travel so well; they used to break easily...nevertheless, i use them in my office also.

PreviousNext

Return to Business Operations and Development