IRS Forms Order

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I ordered some tax forms from the IRS more than 3 weeks ago but still have not received them yet. Can it be related to the shutdown?

And is there a chance that we will not get the forms until after the shutdown has ended and the government reopens?

Joan TB  
I forgot to order mine until 1/3/19 and I don't have mine either. Luckily for me, I mainly get these to have a few of several kinds each year to help out those few people that ask me for them. You know, the friends, family or community folks in my small town that ask. For my actual paying clients, I use online services.

I have a few clients who need to file Form 1099-MISC and Form 1096. I do not file online. So I need the red ink forms to provide for them.

Is there a way to find out if the forms will come or about when it will come? Did the IRS tell us which service is being affected by the shutdown and which are not?

I do not want to order the forms myself, paid for them already and then receive the free forms in the mail on the next day.

Anyone in the know please share your information. Thank you in advance.

EZTAX  
I ordered back in November. Never received them but had a note in my PO box saying IRS had sent something UPS and could not deliver. Re-ordered over a month ago and have not received anything.

My tax program supports efiling of Form 1099. But in order to do that, I will need a TCC from the IRS. I have just submitted the Form 4419 to apply for a TCC. But it says it will take 45 days to process the request.

Does that mean there is no way I can e-file the Form 1099 this year (2018)?

In this case, what can I do if the IRS does not send the red ink forms to me?

Help.......................please

MRTax  
I have a bookkeeper in the same boat, waiting for forms. He only needs a few and did not want to pay for them. We do not have enough extra on hand to supply.

I saw someone posted they use tax1099.com to prepare them online. Maybe try that service?

Otherwise, Staples / Office Max, etc sell them in large packs..

Joan TB  
Ofc Depot has a pack of 25 for $19.99.
I use efile4biz.com to file them online.

Sam's Club has packs for $20 that contain 40 sets, including envelopes. Office supply stores sell them, but much costlier. Either way, so much simpler than relying on the IRS. I pass the cost onto clients and return unopened packages once I am done.

FYI, the SSA forms can generally be printed on blank paper, does not need to be red copies as long as the IRS approved the software vendor's forms. It is the taxpayer copy that requires perforated paper.

ATSMAN  
One of the things I learned real quickly in this business is not to wait too long to order supplies before start of tax season. I got burnt once and since then by Thanksgiving I have ordered the usual office supplies, forms etc. for the coming tax season. Tax season is stressful enough without having to worry about supplies!

I got burned last tax season and didn't have 1099s until the end of the month. I had to scramble. This year, I ordered them in August. Who could have expected a shutdown that would cripple the forms department!

If it was earlier in the month, I would sent you some. I would hightail over to Sam's and get whatever forms you need.

We got ours today, ordered on the 4th I think.

Jake  
I am going to Sam's Club tomorrow morning. The full time CPA that always has these for both of us has yet to receive her order.

Joan TB wrote:Ofc Depot has a pack of 25 for $19.99.
I use efile4biz.com to file them online.

Thank you for telling us about efile4biz.com! I used it and was able to prep all my 1099-MISCs and e-file them easily (and have the service take care of mailing the 1099-MISCs directly to each recipient on their end) at $4.25 each for 11 of them.

I ordered the 1099-MISC forms from the IRS on 1/8/19 (late, I know). I did not receive them until today, 2/6/19. Into the recycling bin they go!

Return to Business Operations and Development