Software for a client to approve payments from bank acct

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I am in the middle of discussing taking over someone's personal accounting and, potentially, bill payments. The latter would be done if we can find a way for me to submit bills for payment, and have the client be able to approve them prior to the checks or ACH payments being disbursed by bank or a third party. I am willing to take on this work because of the nature of my relationship with this person--personal financial matters are not typically something I address beyond taxes. Additionally, we are separated by several states, so I cannot just print off checks for signature and mailing.

Is anyone familiar with a service for individuals that allows an accountant (or like-type person) to prepare payments, and the client then submits final approval for disbursement? I know this can be done with certain banks and business accounts for ACH and wires, but have not seen it offered for individual accounts.

makbo  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:Is anyone familiar with a service for individuals that allows an accountant (or like-type person) to prepare payments, and the client then submits final approval for disbursement? I know this can be done with certain banks and business accounts for ACH and wires, but have not seen it offered for individual accounts.

So, tell the bank you are a business, with two signers. A quick search finds that banks have varying policies about accounts which require two or more signatures for online bill payments. Some allow it, some don't.

Two signers is not the control that is needed, and most banks do not take any responsibility for ensuring two signatures exist.

It needs to be a system where a payment or bill is entered for authorization or submittal, and the account owner actually approves or releases. Quickbooks Online Bill Pay might work since a PIN is needed to submit the transactions for payment, but I need to see how well it can work with QBO, or if bill.com has to become part of the equation.

makbo  
It's still the electronic equivalent of two signers. That's what you are asking for, right? Two different people have to agree on the payment to make, before it is fully authorized.

Anyway, don't get hung up on "two signers". You said "I know this can be done with certain banks and business accounts for ACH and wires", so just tell them you are a business (or a trade). Get an EIN for banking purposes if necessary.

Return to Business Operations and Development