Fees charged for new ACA Form - Form 1095 A, B, C, D, etc...

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Pros,

I hope all is well,and you had a restful weekend. I wanted to ask what fees you all have been considering if any to charge for preparing the new Affordable Care Act forms for having or not having health insurance? We dont want to scare our clients but we were thinking this may take an additional to 1 to 3 hours to investigate and prepare.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by wwwcpa1biz on 3-Nov-2014 9:48am, edited 1 time in total.

What is form 195?

And when do taxpayers have to start filing Form 1095?

Correction, it is 1095. I have changed.

jon  
I was told that the ACA, 1095, would be just like doing MA state returns. I have no MA returns, but would love to hear here of how th 1095s work there..

Check the correct boxes, then enter the name, EIN and policy number of the insured, and on a joint return, for both partners. 3HZN12873922 might be a policy number.

I don't see it taking 1 to 3 hours. I've been playing with it in the tax software with sample clients and draft returns. For people on Medicare, it's just checking a box so any charge would be negligible. For my situation (I was uninsured for two months so I qualify for an exemption on Form 8965) it's relatively straightforward so I imagine the charge to be roughly that of Forms 4952 or 2441. For some, especially when you get to the premium tax credit (8962) I'm looking to charge somewhere between an office in the home or a basic like-kind exchange. I'm putting this in relative terms as my area is definitely a different market.

I'd love to hear other responses as well.

kathyt  
I don't see it taking that long either, I think the part that would take the most time would be getting the info from the client. Hopefully they come prepared.

kathyt  
I haven't really thought about how much to charge, and in the above post I said I don't think it will take too much time to actually prepare the form, HOWEVER I just thought about all of the hours & hours that I have spent in webinars leading up to this, all of the time & money spent doing that, we can't forget about that when it comes to pricing. They are paying for our knowledge, and there was a lot to learn in that area.

kathyt wrote:I haven't really thought about how much to charge, and in the above post I said I don't think it will take too much time to actually prepare the form, HOWEVER I just thought about all of the hours & hours that I have spent in webinars leading up to this, all of the time & money spent doing that, we can't forget about that when it comes to pricing. They are paying for our knowledge, and there was a lot to learn in that area.

That is a fair point. Sometimes I take the knowledge for granted :)

brusso  
At a recent ACA seminar, I was told that this should take 10 minutes at most. However, if Taxpayer has an exemption but has lost the exemption number, the only way to retrieve it is to make a request BY MAIL. Takes any where from 3-6 weeks to get it. Best practice in this case is to file for an extension. Then, charge accordingly.

Return to Business Operations and Development