Scam targeting preparers

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
chris  
Maybe you have already seen this. I've been getting emails this tax season that go like this:

"Hi, I would like you to prepare my taxes this year -- here's a file with my information for you to look over".

There's a PDF attached. Which I can guarantee has executable code buried inside of it.

Another version of the email is simply "Hi - new client here, would like to set something up maybe on the weekend". I know the next email is going to be the "Here's my file of information" email.

Just be careful and don't ever open a PDF you don't know as coming from a trusted source.
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

ATSMAN  
This is a very common method for crooks to insert malware into your computer system. They know that accountants around this time will get legit e-mails from clients with attachments.

The prudent way to get attachments from legit clients is to direct them to a secured file server where the attachments are scrubbed first before you download them and only clients that you have given access to can upload.

Return to Business Operations and Development