Bookkeeping fees for CPA

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
BFStax  
I am a sole practitioner CPA who handles mostly tax returns and outsourced CFO services (complete accounting from payroll, bookkeeping, financial projections, etc...). For these clients I have always packaged the service as a monthly fixed fee.

I'm talking to a new client that needs only bookkeeping services and not sure what to charge. Since it's just me, my time is valuable as a CPA, but I know uncredentialed bookkeepers only charge $20-$50/hr. I'm thinking $75/hr but would love to get to $100 but I think that's too high. What do others charge?

I do $100/hr, because it nearly always leads to more work than simple bookkeepers charging $20-50/hr are capable of doing. I understand GAAP, I know tax law, I understand business, and it benefits them in the end by paying more to me.

Even when I hire staff or someone to assist with it, still bills out at $75-100/hr.

Ultimately, in the end I still focus on fees that are not derived by hourly rates. Most of the time, it works in my favor, though anticipated time involved and my fees do play a factor in determining the fees.

eze  
I leave my rate at $250, but I have a range I'm expecting that I share with the client. A lot of my bills have "Mark down from standard rate" to bring into something I think is fair for the type of work.

If you lower your rate too much or quote fixed fee, you become a personal assistant for some of the entrepreneurs. I want my fee high so they respect my time, but I'm willing to work with them....as long as they are not jerks. As soon as they go slow pay or get jerky...no more discount.

KRHCO  
I charge my full hourly rate. I don’t discount my rate because my staff bookkeeper is doing the work.

Return to Business Operations and Development