Considering a switch from ProSystemFX to Drake

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I've used ProFX for many years (decades) for individual returns only. I love the software and support but the cost increases have been unrelenting and it's total cost is way too much for me as I do not do a volume of personals over which to spread the cost. My volume is too low to absorb the cost profitably and too much to switch to a pay-per-return basis.

I'm considering a switch to Drake for individual returns. The cost savings of an UT or Lacerte wouldn't make the change worthwhile. I would appreciate any experiences with Drake and particularly anyone who switched from FX to Drake. FX has a robust e-file system which displays the Federal and State refund/balance due for a return to be e-filed and gives me several bites at the apple before I actually e-file a return. I would be concerned if Drake's e-file method was not as forgiving.

Any thoughts about switching to Drake would be sincerely appreciated as the thought of a transiton is worrisome. All I've ever used in my practice is Andersen's A+ and then ProSystem FX. I'm not one to change software but I think the time has come to switch.

I had the same dilemma last year, been using prosystem for over 20 years love the software but very pricy. I tried the Drake trial practice and did not like it at all, I would have taken 4 times as long to do returns, fortunately I have enough volume of personals to spread the cost. I would suggest re-evaluating if you can increase fees accordingly. sometimes us tax pros are way too shy about raising fees like we should

ATSMAN  
Please get the Drake 2018 software after tax season ends on a trial basis and input a broad sample of your actual 1040 returns that you did and do a comparison yourself during the off season. The data input in Drake is by screen and NOT by form so that will be a learning curve. The e-file is just as good as any other professional software with usual checks.

Drake will help you convert your client files.

You have to do a cost benefit analysis and if your goal is to do mostly 1040 returns then I think it may be the most cost effective way compared to CCH or Intuit professional tax prep products.

I switched from the old RedGear Taxworks software in 2012 and I am satisfied.

jon  
The Journal rates the major softwares in their September issue every year. I have been with Ultra for over twenty and will not change, but Drake, which has shortcomings, based on their ratings was the best for its price.

CathysTaxes  
I'm very pleased with Drake. I really liked RedGears Taxworks and was sorry to see it go.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

I currently use Drake for my practice but have used ProSystems/Axcess and GoSystems.

All of them have their quirks and learning curve, but Drake is a good value for the price IMO.

I agree with the other poster that you should download a trial version post 4/15 and play around with it.

The learning curve with Drake isn't as steep as Pro fx.

I like how Drake releases updates daily if they're ready to go, as opposed to weekly.

Customer support answers quickly, even during busy season. I'm pretty sure I've never been on hold, ever. They're not the most knowledge I've ever dealt with, but they're polite and genuinely willing to help.

zl28  
I didnt' find Drake intuitive enough.

I'm happy with Intuit proseries for individuals.

the software is my friend :)
and has helped increase my practice
and reduce stress very much.

I used to use atx.

i tested drake. didn't feel secure with them.

i like ultratax but that's pricey

ProFX and Drake are basically the two extremes for tax software. I use ProFX and have tried to demo Drake. Drake is garbage and I wouldnt use it even if it's free. I had a colleague ask me to review her returns for her she prepared in Drake. Always found it funny when a fully depreciated asset kept on depreciating.

I'd recommend Intuit Tax Pro Online. It's a PPR option that might not be too much more than Drake. Supposedly built on Lacertes engine. https://proconnect.intuit.com/tax-online/

ATSMAN  
>> Always found it funny when a fully depreciated asset kept on depreciating.

Did you review what she inputed that the asset was still depreciating when it should not? There is an entire depreciation screen that needs to be populated with the correct data. I don't have that issue with my depreciation schedules?

The only Drake depreciation/amortization issue I've found is that depreciation does not calculate correctly on assets put into service during a short year.

Dealt with this over the past week for some new partnerships... You have to manually calculate and override in this situation.

But like ATSMAN hinted, it's mostly fine.

I just review the output. Cost basis something like 100k prior year accumulated 105k and it's still taking the expense. Outside of reviewing some of her returns and my demo experience I dont have much more experience with Drake. I handle complex returns that at the time Drake couldnt handle without manually preparing forms and attaching.

CreditMyDebit - could you share what some of those forms were? I'm trying to assess whether to consider Drake and if there are some forms that I'd have routinely attach, that would be important to factor in.

Derby  
CreditMyDebit wrote:
I'd recommend Intuit Tax Pro Online. It's a PPR option that might not be too much more than Drake. Supposedly built on Lacertes engine. https://proconnect.intuit.com/tax-online/

I found Tax Pro Online much too slow for my use.

migbike  
I've used Axcess & UltraTax, but use Drake for my side clients. There is a little bit of a learning curve (as with anything) but once you get the hang of it, it's fine. I do have to pay extra attention to any state returns, but the cost savings are worth it.

Also, Drake support is pretty good. I don't think I've ever been on hold.

Return to Business Operations and Development