ideas? (hiring new employee / background check)

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
zl28  
Have a chance to hire someone offsite.

He has his own business.

Passed a few parts of CPA exam.

Not a CPA yet, though.

I'd be very surprised if there were a problem hiring him offsite to do business.

But i've only met the guy once!

Anyone have a recommendation for a background check place?

Anyone have any suggestions for how to make this happen.

He's a talented young accountant who does good work; he just doesn't want
to come over to my office.

Kind of not the best time to get yourself set up for him to be able to do remote work. Are you paperless? What tax software are you using?

Any local background check company will be able to check criminal records and confirm degree at the university.

zl28  
I am paperless and use Proseries

What do you prefer? Have him back up files he prepares and send back electronically or have him remote in to a server where he can work directly within your network?

zl28  
he can actually download my software onto his computer...he just can't electronically file anything.

i send him the file, i give him access to the portal with client's info.

he prepares returns.

and send back tax file to me.

he doesn't need to login on my computer

CreditMyDebit wrote:Kind of not the best time to get yourself set up for him to be able to do remote work.

This.

Focus on your clients for the next 7 weeks. The timing just isn't right.

zl28  
i need help...one guy quit and another guy that is supposed to come every other Sunday isn't realy showing up....so i have me, intern (*10 hrs week) and an offsite person who is good and reliable but has own practice.

Have him sign an exclusivity and privacy agreement of some kind. Saying that he will protect client data, etc.

Copy a boiler plate ethics and privacy code and procedure (employee/contractor handbook) for your business and make him initial those too.

Hire an HR/background company to look him over. Do a local search.

Do this and any additional "trail of reasonable and diligent efforts" you can think of that show you acted carefully in case things go badly.

Don't force it. I have 2 brilliant tax pros in my office and I still wonder if I could do more tax returns "all alone" if they were not asking for my guidance all of the time (not that I'm brilliant obviously- it just takes a certain personality to get things done - and those with it generally have their own practice).

zl28  
good advice...ty!

can anyone recommend hr/background company?

i could also say to him you have to come into the office to work - but i dont' think he's interested in that.

there is must a massive shortage of per diem this year

i hear you on the 'all alone' i can't take the questions.

i had a guy for $40/hr and asked so many questions and i'm like for $40 there shouldn't be this many questions.
this guy wants 35% of the fee, which could be $75/hr for him
which is alot
but he is quick
now i have to review his work to check for accuracy.

ATSMAN  
I believe there is a company called backgroundchecks that can do a quick check for $30. When I hired an assistant part time I ran a background and criminal check.

I agree with others that the timing is not right at the top of filing season. But if your back is against the wall you have no choice. I would recommend an employment attorney reviewing your contract with this accountant, particularly the roles, responsibilities and turn around time. Also you need to have an iron clad privacy and non disclosure agreement. I am not sure if a no compete will hold up in state courts if it is restrictive.

Make sure he has a valid E&O policy. I am assuming he will be using his PTIN. If not then he is really your employee and then that is another ball of wax!

zl28  
thank you atsman; that site worked well!

good advice on privacy and non disclosure....i'll check out rocket lawyer to see what they have....i think you can have a covenant not to compete for 18 mos

eze  
You can usually search county court electronically for free. Nothing wrong with a background check, but if he/she's lived in the same county for several years, you might be able to check yourself. I for hires and contractors I snoop on LinkedIn and social media to see what kind of person they are. If I can't find them on social these days, especially Linkedin...then I get nervous.

PM me your email....I have a contractor agreement that is probably way too long, but you are welcome plagiarize.

Return to Business Operations and Development