Expanding from Solo Practice

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Preppie  
When I started a solo tax practice a few years ago I was hoping to get enough clients to make it work. Now I am turning away prospects. Good problems to have.

This off season I want to lay the groundwork to hire someone for next tax season. Just 1040 work, but the tax practice generates prospects for my financial planning business, so I want high quality work. I've seen some guides for purchase on how to grow a tax business. Are any of them particularly good? Is there a free guide somewhere? Best practices? I'd like to get it as close to right as I can the first time. :)

TIA

ATSMAN  
Just 1040 work, but the tax practice generates prospects for my financial planning business, so I want high quality work.

If your average client right now is making south of $100K, focusing on just 1040 clients may not have the desired effect for financial planning purpose. Perhaps you need to consider niche marketing to target high net worth individuals. There are many high net worth prospect lists available that you may want to consider to target market.

Following.

I plan to bring on one or two seasonal helpers during 2020 or 2021.

Preppie  
ATSMAN wrote:
Just 1040 work, but the tax practice generates prospects for my financial planning business, so I want high quality work.

If your average client right now is making south of $100K, focusing on just 1040 clients may not have the desired effect for financial planning purpose. Perhaps you need to consider niche marketing to target high net worth individuals. There are many high net worth prospect lists available that you may want to consider to target market.

Highly sensible advice. However, I am having similar trouble with the volume of financial planning clients we have, and will be looking to expand that operation in the future as well.

zl28  
difficult to find good people to work and stay with the small guy

Return to Business Operations and Development