Client Party

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Has anyone held a party/social gathering for clients and other individuals that have been key to firm growth and development? There are some "special" dates coming up for me in 2020 and beyond, and the idea of renting out a venue space and having food, beer and wine, music, and just a fun social event crossed my mind as a way to celebrate and express gratitude. But, there is another side of me that says it may not be a good idea to have all of these people in the same room together.

ATSMAN  
I did a summer cookout several years back with a select group of clients. Mostly centers of influence who have been referring business to me over the years. When I sent them the e-mail I CLEARLY mentioned that I will not discuss any matter involving tax situations (they must make an appointment for consultation) and guests were asked to refrain from discussing personal tax matters and just have FUN. I think the key is to lay the expectations that this is a purely social gathering to show your appreciation and not a group consultation meeting. BUT the sad truth is someone will start a conversation regarding something they saw on TV or read about it and sort of indirectly get you to comment. The key is to comment is very broad terms and get hold of the conversation if it gets close to revealing personal tax situations.

Try not to do what Rick Moranis did at his house party with clients in the original Ghostbusters :lol:

CornerstoneCPA wrote:Has anyone held a party/social gathering for clients and other individuals that have been key to firm growth and development? There are some "special" dates coming up for me in 2020 and beyond, and the idea of renting out a venue space and having food, beer and wine, music, and just a fun social event crossed my mind as a way to celebrate and express gratitude. But, there is another side of me that says it may not be a good idea to have all of these people in the same room together.

YES. Its a great idea. Client appreciation event. Beer, wine and appetizers in a "stand up" environment where clients can mingle. I did one 5 years ago. Restaurant in "my hood". Set me back about $2,000. Gonna do another. Clients like it.
Last edited by southparkcpa on 23-Mar-2019 3:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

makbo  
I don't see any harm, however if I got such an invite from another professional, say a doctor or lawyer, to go to a party to mingle with a bunch of complete strangers whose only common connection with me I was actively discouraged from talking about, I wouldn't go. Rather than presenting it as a "party", maybe just call it an open house and hold it at your business location? Or have a guest speaker make a presentation and then some networking time before or after?

CathysTaxes  
I think the open house is the better idea.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Taxaway  
Had a 'housewarming' backyard BBQ when I bought my condo, and along with family and friends, emailed an invite to maybe a half dozen clients who fit the category of those you'd enjoy socializing with, regardless. Accidentally emailed all my clients (couple hundred at the time.) Ooops. :oops: Made an excuse and sent a dis-invite. I only had one grill! Then re-invited the several who did come by, the type of good people who bring beverages with them! :D

ATSMAN  
Made an excuse and sent a dis-invite. I only had one grill! Then re-invited the several who did come by, the type of good people who bring beverages with them!

Hopefully the folks you re-invited did not talk to any of the folks dis-invited about the great party :P

I feel an "open house" is too traditional. I am confined to enough rules and tradition as it is; I attempt to break status quo and do things differently whenever I can. I suspect turnout would be better OUTSIDE of an office, in a familiar and appealing stand-up venue where everyone could mingle.

This is a small community despite it being 75,000+ people, overall--everyone knows everyone, many are self-employed. I am guessing turnout would be decent since a lot of the people actually know each other to some degree, or would otherwise view it as a networking opportunity. And yes, I would not engage in any specific discussions and would promptly end even general business discussions for matters that concern me (including someone discussing their personal tax matters). It would be a social event to have fun and show appreciation, not a continuation of my workday.

ATSMAN  
I recall, many years back a salesperson invited his top clients and me to a Red Sox ball game and clam bake later. Back then you could write off those expenses. Post TCJA it does not seem viable.

Not every decision can be based on a tax deduction.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:Not every decision can be based on a tax deduction.

You'd be surprised at how many people would think the exact opposite.

Return to Business Operations and Development