Warranty on external HD

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Joan TB  
Here is my situation. My external HD (that I use as one of my back-up sources) now has a problem. It is only 6 months old, so still covered under the warranty. I feel sure that we are going to get a replacement but then they are going to want the first drive returned. What do I do about all the confidential data (tax info, etc.) that resides on this back-up drive? I can't erase it because the drive doesn't respond - which is why I need a replacement. Is my only choice to NOT return this drive and forget the warranty? Anybody else encountered this dilemma?

Coddington  
If it's not your only back-up option and you don't need the information from it, you could have it degaussed.
-Brian

Director of Tax Accounting Methods & Credits
SourceAdvisors.com

Opinions my own.

ATSMAN  
If your HD is made by Seagate they may send you in a CD whatever data they are able to recover, if you make a request. Mind you that it will not be usable from any practical perspective because it is raw data and you just can not import it into your software.

I would not be too worried about that data because those defective Hd will be shredded by the company for the recycled materials.

I had a similar situation about 8 years back and got a replacement HD of same capacity under warranty but kiss the data goodbye! Hope you had another backup source.

makbo  
This illustrates one reason why my backups of client information are encrypted. I use a combination of TrueCrypt (*) and WinZip to backup up in several formats in several physical locations.

(*) Yes, I know TrueCrypt is no longer supported as a really solid security option, but I still need to figure out a good replacement, my understanding is that MS BitLocker is not included with basic Windows 7 systems.

Joan TB  
Update: I am getting a replacement HD from Seagate. It will be a new unit. They provided me a copy of their "Overwriting process for returned products" policy and their "Media Sanitization Practices during Product Return Process" (which includes degaussing - a term I had to look up when Coddington mentioned it!) Since this is merely one of my backups, I am not concerned whether I have access to the data. Seagate also offered to give me a "certificate of destruction" for the unit where I can take it apart and return "all but the plates". Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

Coddington  
BitLocker is only included on Windows 7 Ultimate and that makes no sense. I buy a machine with Win 7 Pro and then have to upgrade to get what should be the standard encryption on a business machine?
-Brian

Director of Tax Accounting Methods & Credits
SourceAdvisors.com

Opinions my own.

chris  
If you are worried about it, that option they gave you to send back everything but the spinning discs (inside the unit), is the best option. It can be a little tricky to extract them but someone with a set of jeweler's screwdrivers and some patience can do it.

I offer a data destruction service to friends/family. It involves an old oak tree stump on my property and a 20 pound sledge hammer. So far I have not had any data breaches.
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

Joan TB  
target practice at the deer lease works well, too.

Joan TB  
UPDATE: I received a "certificate of destruction" from the manufacturer. It gave me permission to take apart the hard drive and remove the "platters" (the disks that contain data). It was actually quite fun - and very interesting - to take it apart. One piece that I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't come out - was actually held on by a VERY strong magnet. (I thought that magnets couldn't get close to the disks without messing up the data, but obviously I was wrong!) After I took off the actual disks, I put the whole thing back together (and even used all the screws!) and shipped it off to the warranty return department yesterday. A meticulous job, but not hard, except for finding a tool for the very small torx screws. (managed to borrow one from a client who is a jeweler.) Now I get to take out all my pent-up frustrations by destroying the disks!!!! Anybody else want to join the sledge-hammer party?!?!?!

chris  
8-) Cool, glad to hear that worked out for you.
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

Return to Business Operations and Development