Credit Karma, TurboTax Free Edition, etc...

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Dear TPT'ers,

With all of these websites offering free premium tax services, how can we as CPA's compete? Have you guys noticed a cut into your bottom line as a result of these offerings? This is definitely not good news.

My understanding is that the free services are not premium. Wages, no Schedule A, with or without children, might get you free but anything else is going to cost. I believe any skilled FATP can compete for those who must spend upwards of $170 for a box to do a return with business or rental.

novacpa  
I got a "panic call" "got to see you Pronto"..Ok..she's coming in 3pm. I ask what's it about? She says "I prepared my own returns - sent them off - am getting Huge Payment Demands from 2 states and the IRS - I need your Help."

The very reason CPAs exist, and always will.

CathysTaxes  
novacpa wrote:I got a "panic call" "got to see you Pronto"..Ok..she's coming in 3pm. I ask what's it about? She says "I prepared my own returns - sent them off - am getting Huge Payment Demands from 2 states and the IRS - I need your Help."

The very reason CPAs exist, and always will.

I am waiting for the one client who decided to do it herself this year.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

SumwunLost wrote:My understanding is that the free services are not premium.

Even the "premium" services from these software companies are not "premium."

My service, on the other hand, is.

I'm not concerned.

smtcpa  
I've never lost a client to these services. Don't make that demographic your target market and you won't need to worry.
octaxguy13 wrote:Dear TPT'ers,

With all of these websites offering free premium tax services, how can we as CPA's compete? Have you guys noticed a cut into your bottom line as a result of these offerings? This is definitely not good news.

ATSMAN  
If you recall TT locks out the user from downloading or printing a return copy if they don't pay. I have had two such taxpayers who screwed up on the 1095-A and then could not print the return.

IMHO if you have a pretty straight forward return you should be able to do it free online at least the Federal return. If you have 2 states and it needs allocation of income etc. I don't think the free version allows that flexibility.

My son(college student) for the first time tried Credit Karma and he got it done correct without my help 8-)

Return to Business Operations and Development