2015 Annual Federal Tax Refresher Course

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
taxea  
Laura Warren : :?

​I took this course because it is offered to members for free and I wanted to see what was included since the IRS Certificate replaces the RTRP designation.

I just completed the 2015 Annual Federal Tax Refresher Course. I have to tell you that 6 CPE credits is way to little for this course. A tax update course is normally 4 parts and 4hrs per part which is less what it took to complete this course. 2hr for new tax law and 2hrs for tax law update. Wow!

I must admit it would not have taken me nearly as long if I could have added my own notes to the presentation. There was no way to pdf or download the course to my harddrive. This caused me to have to take copious notes.

There was also no way to refer back to the course info while taking the test even though I was told that was kosher.

Who offered the course? I'm in the process of taking the refresher course from NATP since it's free to members. I agree, it's a lot of reading for 6 CPEs. Plus, the exam is 3 hours/100 questions.

I've just gone through the course, but have not taken the test yet.
It's long...but I was impressed how thorough it is. It's hundreds of pages. It just doesn't give you an answer, but dives into very detailed explanations. Easy read though.. I think it is very well written. Just have to take good notes.
I too thought geez....this is lengthy and you can't print it. I emailed them asking if there is a way to print, but they said no printed material. I understand why. It's that detailed and I think very well written. Why would they make it that detailed just for others to be able to copy it and pass it onto others for free?
Just my two cents.

taxea wrote:There was no way to pdf or download the course to my harddrive.

What about the IRS requirement to retain "Written outlines, course syllabi, textbook, and/or electronic materials" for four years?
http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/FAQs:-Enrolled-Agent-Continuing-Education-Requirements

taxea  
my understanding from NATP is that it is the IRS who is restricting any downloads of the course text.

Return to Business Operations and Development