backup system

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
JAD  
It turns out that my automated back up system has not been backing up. It's the first time I've ever needed to retrieve a file, and surprise, it was not there...Thankfully a loss of only a couple of hours of work.

Therefore, I explained to my computer consultant that I wanted to do manual backups onto flash drives - something I could control, see was done, understand. He is acting like I just explained that I want to chisel tax returns into stone instead of using a computer in the preparation process. However...in his defense, those of you who have been around for a while might have noticed that I am not the most technologically advanced person in the world.

What is your backup system? Does anyone do a global backup on to an external hard driver periodically with daily backup of files onto flashdrives?

I have multiple levels of redundancy. First off, all my data is on a RAID 10. Second, I have continuous backup to cloud of all data files, including tax and QB data files. Third, PDFs and office docs are all saved in OneDrive, and those are backed up via Spanning in addition to being on my RAID 10 and next backup system. Finally, I have rotating HDD backups utilizing StorageCraft ShadowProtect. The second drive not in rotation is kept in a safe that is fire resistant for nearly 2 hours and 2,000 degrees.

Frankly  
JAD wrote:It turns out that my automated back up system has not been backing up. […]
Therefore, I explained to my computer consultant...

And his explanation about why the backup system (for which he should know all about) didn't do the job was …?

Frankly wrote:
JAD wrote:It turns out that my automated back up system has not been backing up. […]
Therefore, I explained to my computer consultant...

And his explanation about why the backup system (for which he should know all about) didn't do the job was …?

To be fair, since I have managed and still do manage backups for some companies, unless the client is willing to pay you to routinely monitor the backups or dive into why failures occurred, it can be difficult to catch failures and determine the cause. Sometimes the cause is simple, other times not so much. It took me nearly two years of research and digging to finally figure out why the heck ShadowProtect would start failing EVERY...SINGLE...BACKUP...once a manual backup had been initiated. This is a backup system deployed in my own company as well as a law firm, and it took me that long to figure out the actual cause even after involving tech support concerning the failures. Since having figured it out, all failures are now user error--namely, forgetting to rotate drives per the defined schedule.

makbo  
Backups are not only about recovering from failure or inaccessibility of physical media, although that is often the only thing most people thing about. It's also about how many different points in time you have backups for. Corruption, either physical or logical, can occur in a data file and not be detected for some time. In that case, your most recent backup will probably be useless as it too will contain the corruption, faithfully backed up.

For this reason, I run a very simple, cheap, and as JAD requested, easy to understand and monitor daily backup. Using WinZIP (free trial, inexpensive license), I schedule a daily job for various folders where I keep critical files, so that only the files whose "archive bit" has been changed are backed up, then the archive bit is cleared. (Archive bit is a feature built into WIndows, it's been around for decades).

In short, only the files that were created or modified on that day are backed up. I store this backup right on my main hard disk, because its purposes has nothing to do with recovering from disk failure. Using WinZIP, it is extremely easy to see exactly what was backed up, and when, by simply looking at the file listing inside each ZIP file. Encryption is optional, I do use it, and by having to type in the password for the job each day, I know it is occurring as scheduled.

Of course, I also have various offsite backups, also aged out over time. But if need be, I could probably restore my data files to just about any point in time, at a daily granularity, for any anytime in the last 365+ days.

Intra-day backups are another matter, not sure if this was JAD's original problem. Meaning, suppose I just spent two hours carefully crafting a spreadsheet, which may still be open on my system and therefore not able to be completely backed up via automated means. Once I realize that I really don't want to ever have to repeat those two hours, I stop and manually copy the file somewhere else, maybe under a different name.

JAD  
Great feedback, thanks. This discussion helps me solidify my concerns.

Frankly, fair criticism, but the bottom line is he just made a mistake, which he already owned up to.

Are it consultant set up something called a datto drive. It does two things. It provides a physical backup. It also can be used as a server in case the server ever breaks on you. It could be used for a short turn server on to the server gets fixed. In addition. O has an online backup system which backs up the data online as well. We've had to retrieve files to times in the last year and it worked well. Fortunately the server has not broken for us to have to use the backup server yet.

makbo  
wwwcpa1biz wrote:Are it consultant set up something called a datto drive.

That's the name of a company, not a generic term. Never heard of them before, but according to their web site they're fairly well established.

Mak, yes, Datto is the brand. They are well respected in the it world other cpa firms I know use then for back up services.

Return to Business Operations and Development