Internet in Serviced Office

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
So I’m striking out on my own (thanks to my local EA chapter for all the encouragement at breakfast yesterday). I’m looking at a serviced office - specifically Regus. They mention that they provide the internet, but I am concerned as to what that might mean in terms of my own internet and computer security.

I plan on speaking with a local computer expert early next week. Are there any “Magic words,” I should use or avoid to convey what a tax professional needs in this situation?

makbo  
SumwunLost wrote:I’m looking at a serviced office - specifically Regus. They mention that they provide the internet, but I am concerned as to what that might mean in terms of my own internet and computer security.

I plan on speaking with a local computer expert early next week. Are there any “Magic words,” I should use or avoid to convey what a tax professional needs in this situation?

The workspace vendor is going to provide basic commercial-grade internet access. I don't recommend using WiFi even within their office, so make sure you can make a direct cable connection if you wish. Unless they offer a "premium package" of some kind, you aren't going to get them to change anything about their internet configuration just for you.

But that's not a problem, I don't think their network is any less secure, technology-wise, than my OIH network. Your biggest concern is actually the staff who have access to the secure network devices, since many if not most security breaches these days are through the weakest link (a human), not the technology.

Your tax software probably transmits return data encrypted, thanks to the IRS Security Summit effort. Your computer should have a good internet security suite (I use Kaspersky Internet Security, which includes anti virus and various firewalls). You could even run a VPN, which is included with KIS at a basic daily usage level (200MB), and more data transfer is available for an additional fee. Are you going to leave your computer in the office when you are not there? Obviously disk encryption and a physical lock would be advisable, since even on work days you may get away from your desk for a break from time to time.

Lastly, consider where you are going to originate your efiles from. I believe the EFIN requires the physical location where returns are originated and sent to the transmitter, so you may have to update your EFIN application with the new address.

ATSMAN  
Bring your own internet for tax preparation and e-filing purpose. If your office is in an area serviced by Comcast they have a a decent business package including phone. I used to have an office in a building where the landlord installed internet and gave access to his tenants. It was very slow and security was questionable because we did not have access to any of the hardware/software except a login ID and password!

I looked into this a few times. Regus has locations here, but I did not look at them since they are too far away. The others I did speak with were completely understanding of my need to have my own internet and network, including WiFi. Can you prevent the average computer user from accessing your data while sharing a common network? Yes, but certainly not someone hellbent on obtaining access. Isolating your network is simply a higher level of security.

I hate working out of offices and the overhead. So, I still work out of home, including occasional help. As long as I have set up the help's network or at least reviewed it for security to my standards, implement some of my own security, etc., it works out just fine. They're only dealing with Quickbooks, anyway.

I consider myself computer illiterate, so maybe others can answer this. I have also been looking at offices (not to hijack this thread but to maybe give Sumwun more insight as well). Some buildings offer wi-fi with the lease, but each individual office has its own login code. Is that something that really helps? Does it make things more secure?

makbo  
Seaside CPA wrote:Some buildings offer wi-fi with the lease, but each individual office has its own login code. Is that something that really helps? Does it make things more secure?

Sharing passwords always makes things less secure, so eliminating sharing between tenants helps a little. Plus, it's easier to shut off your access if you don't pay your bill, without affecting everyone else. :D

Seaside CPA wrote:I consider myself computer illiterate, so maybe others can answer this. I have also been looking at offices (not to hijack this thread but to maybe give Sumwun more insight as well). Some buildings offer wi-fi with the lease, but each individual office has its own login code. Is that something that really helps? Does it make things more secure?

I would not trust it. I want my own line of service, with my own firewall, router, and WiFi configurations.

Thanks for all the comments. They offer WiFi but I can get a wired connection at, apparently, no additional cost. I’m going to see if I can speak with the financial advisers and attorneys there. According to the salesperson some of them “have their own modem.”

SumwunLost wrote:Thanks for all the comments. They offer WiFi but I can get a wired connection at, apparently, no additional cost. I’m going to see if I can speak with the financial advisers and attorneys there. According to the salesperson some of them “have their own modem.”

A wired connection is just as unsecure if it is still a shared network with a crappy firewall. Besides access to information, all it takes is one person to introduce a virus or malware to their PC, and it can then spread out to every drive that is connected to the network.

Excellent point Cornerstone. That is pretty much why I am determined to speak with others in the office to see what their setup is. It would be not so much an additional expense as an investment, I think.

TaxCut  
What about plugging in your own router to their wired connection?

Shouldn't that make it more secure since your router would have it's own firewall and it's own network?

ATSMAN  
TaxCut wrote:What about plugging in your own router to their wired connection?

Shouldn't that make it more secure since your router would have it's own firewall and it's own network?

Still not good enough because your router firewall will have limited access and depending on how the main router is setup may not be effective if it conflicts. IMHO the only way you can be sure it works the way you want it to get your own internet connection and setup your main router the way you want it.

makbo  
CornerstoneCPA wrote: it can then spread out to every drive that is connected to the network.

Not a good idea to share any drives from your PC to the network.

makbo wrote:Not a good idea to share any drives from your PC to the network.

Simply being connected to a network exposes a device to malware/ransomware. Shared or not, being physically or wirelessly connected to the network exposes every single drive. Do not underestimate what malware/ransomware can do, or even what a simple and innocuous freeware utility can find. This is why risk mitigation has to start at user level, because you can have some of the strongest security and policies in existence and still be exposed in a split second because of one person's errant/careless click.

it's been a busy morning, I see. Thanks for the continued interest. I am now emailing back and forth with the IT person in Texas. She is talking about a VLAN. Virtual Local Area Network? Are we getting somewhere? Is this feasible? Does it mean I have a private internet connection?

Haven't yet talked about cost with them. Apparently it is $39 per month for a private IP, with a $99 setup charge. Thoughts from the computer experts on this board would be greatly appreciated. Cost sounds like what I'd be paying for internet if I had to pay for utilities.

OK now I am getting thoroughly confused. She has left me two voicemails and she keeps talking about putting the printer and scanner on a network and needing the MAC addresses. Why? It's just me, a computer, second monitor and the printer and scanner. I wonder if she is trying to upsell me.

ATSMAN  
If you connect the printer and scanner on the network either ethernet or wireless then all users in your office will be able to access it from their workstation. If you have it connected only to your workstation then only you or people using your workstation will be able to use it. I have 2 laser printers wired to my network so that any print job can be printed from any workstation by selection the correct printer que.

For wireless network the router will need the MAC address of each peripheral connected.

If it will be just your work station that will be used and no other laptop etc. that will be used to print, then tell her that you want the scanner and printer locally connected to your workstation only as there is no need for anyone else accessing it.

Return to Business Operations and Development