Mouse Opens Two Windows With One Click

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
This one is for the computer experts. My mouse (several years old) has started opening two windows with one click. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough that it is irritating. For instance, if I click on a link in a webpage, it will open two tabs instead of one. I am quite sure that I am only clicking once. Is this a mouse issue or a computer issue? The mouse was always a bit slow to respond when I had this computer at home, but it didn't open two windows until I moved into my new office.

makbo  
Never heard of that. Not sure it matters, but is your mouse wireless, or wired? Optical or track-ball? (remember the old joke about cleaning mouse balls?) I assume you have done obvious things like put in a fresh battery, clean out dust/lint, etc. Mice are pretty cheap, so next step is probably just to buy a new one.

I had to trash a keyboard once because of a liquid spill (not water), some keys were not working and others were generating wrong characters, so these input devices can be very sensitive to any mis-use of that nature.

It's wired and optical. I have not used a mouse pad in years. I can barely read the Logitech logo, which is, perhaps, an indication that it needs to be replaced. You're right - the cost of a mouse is negligible. I just did not want to waste time doing that if it might be a computer issue. I am rather hoping to have an influx of new clients in a couple of weeks and want to be ready for them!

HowardS  
I had the same problem, replaced the mouse.
Retired, no salvage value.

Thank you both for the replies. A new mouse it is.

Benztax  
You can change the settings as the following to correct the problem:
Control Panel > File Explorer Options > "Click items as follows"

Or sometimes it is the “sticky keys” has been activated. You can turn sticky keys off by:
· Quickly tap one of the shift keys on your keyboard repeatedly
· You will then be asked if you want to turn on sticky keys, click No
Hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.

makbo  
Benztax wrote:Hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.

Neither of those two suggestions seem to have anything to do with the OP problem as described. " It doesn't happen all the time,"

That's right makbo. It didn't happen all the time and the purchase of a new mouse has solved the problem.

ATSMAN  
My 10 year old mouse once decided to do weird stuff also, like non stop scrolling or changing the cursor position. Threw it away and got another for $10 and now works perfect.

I have noticed that shiny white mouse pads also do weird stuff compared to darker mouse pads with sensitive Optical mouses.

Also in Windows you can change the clicking speed. If you are too fast or slow clicking adjust it to your finger speed. I had to change it for my elderly relative to the slowest.

Return to Business Operations and Development