Suggestions for New Laptop

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
It has become obvious that my current laptop has slowed down considerably. I would appreciate suggestions for upgrading. Current laptop is a 2014 or so Lenovo Thinkpad:
Processor: Intel Core i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz
RAM: 4GB
System: Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
Hard Drive: 450GB, of which 319GB is free at the moment.

Some options for a replacement at my local computer store are https://intrex.com/PCs/Notebooks.aspx. Will any of these improve speed noticeably? When I launch Windows task Manager, I observe that the CPU usage bar is small but the memory bar is close to the max most of the time - sometimes at 100%. Or do I look at something like Dell, where options are considerably larger? What would be the minimum spec, what would be desirable and what would be overkill? From prior discussions, I believe Windows 10 Professional is the standard, but what about the rest of the specs?

EDIT: I should mention I am looking at laptops so that I can move easily between offices. I am not at a place financially where I can maintain a desktop and a mirrored laptop.

ATSMAN  
I purchased a Dell Laptop at the start of this tax season to replace my ageing laptop.

For tax/accounting software use get a Intel i5 with at least 8GB memory and 250 - 500GB SSD. With SSD your laptop will boot up in a few seconds. With 8GB memory the internet browsing will be much faster with a decent connection. All come with Windows 10 now.

If budget is tight, look for refurbished units from Dell and Tigerdirect. I think you can pick up a decent refurbished unit for less than $500.

Joan TB  
Make sure you get Win 10 Pro, not Win 10 Home or whatever they call the lesser version. Just my two cents...

Thanks for the reminder, Joan. I vaguely remember noting that from a previous discussion.

Atsman, I tend to buy more than I need, in the hope I will get more years out of it. I was thinking of https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/ct ... 10pc1012m2. Too much? Or an investment in the future?

CathysTaxes  
SumwunLost wrote:Thanks for the reminder, Joan. I vaguely remember noting that from a previous discussion.

Atsman, I tend to buy more than I need, in the hope I will get more years out of it. I was thinking of https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/ct ... 10pc1012m2. Too much? Or an investment in the future?

Looks like a nice system but for me, the display is way too small.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Cathy, I have a 24" monitor hooked up to my current laptop via HDMI cable and plan to continue that. Because I have a suite in shared office space and have just acquired numerous retired clients, I am planning on getting a laptop so that I can go to meeting rooms in other towns within the Regus network, if I can make that work for my new clients and me. Two full-size monitors is not going to work in the space I have at the moment. So, given that, do you think the laptop in post #4 is too much or an investment in the future?

makbo  
Joan TB wrote:Make sure you get Win 10 Pro, not Win 10 Home or whatever they call the lesser version. Just my two cents...

You can purchase an upgraded Pro license from Microsoft at any time, so buying a machine with Home version installed should not be a problem.

ATSMAN  
SumwunLost wrote:Thanks for the reminder, Joan. I vaguely remember noting that from a previous discussion.

With electronic gadgets I NEVER make an investment in the future at current prices and features. Sure this Dell laptop is way more than you probably need for today's tax/accounting software. But remember prices will come down and more features added in the future. I paid 10 times more than my current system for a computer with 640kb memory, dual floppy drives, monochrome 12 inch monitor in 1984 :ugeek:

So is 8GB RAM generally sufficient for tax and accounting work?

Benztax  
It depends on what software you are using. Some software need a lot of memories. Windows Pro is better for Networking and Security purpose. If you are a solo practitioner, I don't think the version of Operating System matter that much.
Here are my suggestions:
CPU: I5 should be 8000 (8th generation) or later; I7 can be 7000(7th generation) or later. Buy the better one within your budget, because you can't upgrade the CPU.
Memories: At least 8GB, but suggest 16 GB if you planning to use it for more than two years. But you can upgrade this later.
Hard Drive: SSD without question, it boost up your speed for more than 3 times. 512 GB minimum.You can upgrade this later.
Keyborad: I believe lenovo T series have the most comfortable keyboard for office use. Don't sacrifice your keyboard for the portability of your laptop.
Screen Size: Never buy any 14" or smaller screen for working purpose, the larger the screen the more efficiency when you are working.
Good Luck
Last edited by Benztax on 5-Jul-2019 3:00pm, edited 2 times in total.

makbo  
Benztax wrote:Screen Size: Never buy any 14" or smaller screen for working purpose, the larger the screen the more efficiency when you are working.

I agree; which makes one wonder, what about the efficiency of people who try to get things done on little screens the size of index cards?

Benztax  

I just checked the laptop in the link. I don't know if you have noticed, even though this is a 15'6 laptop, it is not a full keyboard. There is no number pad on the keyboard. The specs are great, but I really prefer to have a full keyboard for accounting profession.

Good observation Benztax. I'll have to think about that. I have a full keyboard hooked up, but I will have to think about the effects of not having it on the laptop. I wonder how much external keypads cost? When I played backgammon in the UK, the organizer used that, attached to his laptop as, of course, much of his work was numerical.

EDIT: less than $20 for a number-pad I see. Worth pondering overnight.

Benztax  
SumwunLost wrote:Good observation Benztax. I'll have to think about that. I have a full keyboard hooked up, but I will have to think about the effects of not having it on the laptop. I wonder how much external keypads cost? When I played backgammon in the UK, the organizer used that, attached to his laptop as, of course, much of his work was numerical.

EDIT: less than $20 for a number-pad I see. Worth pondering overnight.

I will hate to carry a numeric pad in my backpack. I don't even want to carry a mouse. :lol:

CathysTaxes  
SumwunLost wrote:Cathy, I have a 24" monitor hooked up to my current laptop via HDMI cable and plan to continue that. Because I have a suite in shared office space and have just acquired numerous retired clients, I am planning on getting a laptop so that I can go to meeting rooms in other towns within the Regus network, if I can make that work for my new clients and me. Two full-size monitors is not going to work in the space I have at the moment. So, given that, do you think the laptop in post #4 is too much or an investment in the future?

I'm the type that wants a computer to last a couple of years. For a laptop, I must have a big screen, especially if I'm going to bring it to see a client.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

ATSMAN  
I use a docking station with my laptop 90% of the time. I absolutely hate laptop keyboards for tax/accounting work. With a docking station I am using my full keyboard and 22 inch monitor, plus I am hooked to my multi-function printer.

I will take the laptop into the den or kitchen when I am just checking e-mails or casual browsing.

SumwunLost wrote:So is 8GB RAM generally sufficient for tax and accounting work?

IMO, no. 8GB should be the bare minimum, ideally you'll find a laptop with 12-16GB. I do not even put less than 8GB into a simple admin workstation.

My primary PC has 32GB and I am glad, because I often end up utilizing a good chunk of it. I run many programs simultaneously. I'd be maxing out 8GB in no time at all.

Well, I've managed to get in touch with a computer expert I trust and he can upgrade my current machine to 16GB and put in a SSD for less than half the price of the cheapest machine I was looking at. I know he understands what tax professionals need, having worked with him before.

Thanks all for the helpful responses.

Return to Business Operations and Development